What is Vector?
Vector is a high-performance, end-to-end (agent & aggregator) observability data pipeline that puts you in control of your observability data. Collect, transform, and route all your logs, metrics, and traces to any vendors you want today and any other vendors you may want tomorrow. Vector enables dramatic cost reduction, novel data enrichment, and data security where you need it, not where is most convenient for your vendors. Additionally, it is open source and up to 10x faster than every alternative in the space.
- Reliable - Built in Rust, Vector's primary design goal is reliability.
- End-to-end - Deploys as an agent or aggregator. Vector is a complete platform.
- Unified - Logs, metrics, and traces (coming soon). One tool for all of your data.
- Reduce total observability costs.
- Transition vendors without disrupting workflows.
- Enhance data quality and improve insights.
- Consolidate agents and eliminate agent fatigue.
- Improve overall observability performance and reliability.
- Vector is relied on by startups and enterprises like Atlassian, T-Mobile, Comcast, Zendesk, Discord, Fastly, CVS, Trivago, Tuple, Douban, Visa, Mambu, Blockfi, Claranet, Instacart, Forcepoint, and many more.
- Vector is downloaded over 100,000 times per day.
- Vector's largest user processes over 30TB daily.
- Vector has over 100 contributors and growing.
- Under the hood
- Installation - operating systems, package managers, platforms (Kubernetes), manual
- Deployment - roles, topologies
- Remap Language
- Community - chat, calendar, @vectordotdev
- Releases - latest
- Roadmap - vote on new features
- Policies - Code of Conduct, Privacy, Releases, Security, Versioning
The following performance tests demonstrate baseline performance between common protocols with the exception of the Regex Parsing test.
|TCP to Blackhole||86mib/s||n/a||64.4mib/s||27.7mib/s||40.6mib/s||n/a||n/a|
|File to TCP||76.7mib/s||7.8mib/s||35mib/s||26.1mib/s||3.1mib/s||40.1mib/s||39mib/s|
|TCP to HTTP||26.7mib/s||n/a||19.6mib/s||<1mib/s||2.7mib/s||n/a||n/a|
|TCP to TCP||69.9mib/s||5mib/s||67.1mib/s||3.9mib/s||10mib/s||70.4mib/s||7.6mib/s|
To learn more about our performance tests, please see the Vector test harness.
The following correctness tests are not exhaustive, but they demonstrate fundamental differences in quality and attention to detail:
|Test||Vector||Filebeat||FluentBit||FluentD||Logstash||Splunk UF||Splunk HF|
|Disk Buffer Persistence||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|File Rotate (create)||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|File Rotate (copytruncate)||✓||✓||✓|
To learn more about our correctness tests, please see the Vector test harness.
Vector is an end-to-end, unified, open data platform.
|Vector||Beats||Fluentbit||Fluentd||Logstash||Splunk UF||Splunk HF|