vera is a next-generation GTK+3-based Desktop Environment built for Semplice Linux.
Unlike other desktop environments, there is only a core executable and every feature is implemented via plugins.
In detail, the vera core (i.e. this repository) contains:
- A PluginManager, needed to load plugins
- An XSETTINGS manager, based on vera-xsettings
- A DBus interface to shutdown/reboot/suspend/hibernate/logout using logind with native dialogs
- A DBus interface to take screenshoots
- An autostart manager
In addition, the library (libvera), also contained here, features:
- A direct DBus interface for logind
- The plugin interface needed to create VeraPlugins
- Helper classes to talk with the graphical server (currently only X via Xlib is supported)
vera uses DConf to store settings. Official plugins use the org.semplicelinux.vera.* domain and also 3rd-party plugin makers are encouraged to do so.
The gschema shipped with this package permits to manage some features of the vera core, such as:
- The XSETTINGS manager (yes, you can disable it if you're nostalgic and want to use the good ol' gtkrc)
You can find those settings in /org/semplicelinux/vera.
Also, another gschema is shipped in the domain org.semplicelinux.vera.settings and it contains every setting that will be exported through the XSETTINGS manager.
- valac (tested against vala 0.24)
To compile vera, just execute
You find the result executable in ./src/vera, but you also need to install and compile the settings schemas.
To do so, you can use the following:
cd schemas sudo bake install sudo glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
Of course, you can install vera globally:
sudo bake install # (from the top source directory) sudo glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas