Table of Contents
- Editor Keymaps
- Lint and IntelliSense
- Explorer Icons
- Resources for extension developers
- Official website
- Source code on GitHub
- Releases (stable channel)
- Releases (insiders channel)
- Monthly iteration plans
Language packages extend the editor with syntax highlighting and/or snippets for a specific language or file format.
- Parser 3
- Pascal, or OmniPascal (only for Windows)
- Perl HTML-Template
The VSCode team provides keymaps from popular editors, making the transition to VSCode almost seamless and easy.
Popular Atom keybindings for Visual Studio Code
Popular Sublime Text keybindings for VS Code.
Popular Visual Studio keybindings for VS Code.
Popular Intellij IDEA keybindings for VS Code.
Lint and IntelliSense
In case the awesome nirvana that is linting has not yet been unleashed upon you:
lint was the name originally given to a particular program that flagged some suspicious and non-portable constructs (likely to be bugs) in C language source code. The term is now applied generically to tools that flag suspicious usage in software written in any computer language.
Unlike some other editors, VS Code supports IntelliSense, linting, outline out-of-the-box and doesn't require any separate extension to run linter packages. Some linters are already integrated in VS Code, you can find the full list in the official documentation, Languages section.
- 1C/OScript - rich 1С:Enterprise 8 (BSL) language support in VSC - add syntax highlighting to *.bsl и *.os files in VSC, add IntelliSense and syntax helper for 1С lang
- C/C++ - Preview C/C++ extension by Microsoft, read official blog post for the details
- gnu-global-tags - Provide Intellisense for C/C++ with the help of the GNU Global tool.
- C/C++ Clang Command Adapter - Completion and Diagnostic for C/C++/Objective-C using Clang command.
stylelint - Lint CSS/SCSS.
Autoprefixer Parse CSS,SCSS, LESS and add vendor prefixes automatically.
Intellisense for CSS class names - Provides CSS class name completion for the HTML class attribute based on the CSS files in your workspace. Also supports React's className attribute.
- Go - Rich language support for the Go language.
- tslint - TSLint for Visual Studio Code (with
- eslint - Linter for eslint.
- XO - Linter for XO.
- AVA - Snippets for AVA.
- Prettier - Linter, Formatter and Pretty printer for Prettier.
- tslint - TSLint for Visual Studio Code
- php-intellisense - PHP IntelliSense
- phpcs - PHP CodeSniffer for Visual Studio Code
- phpfmt - phpfmt for Visual Studio Code
- Python - Linting, Debugging (multi threaded, web apps), Intellisense, auto-completion, code formatting, snippets, unit testing, and more.
- Rust - Linting, auto-completion, code formatting, snippets and more
- Twig Language - Snippets, Syntax Highlighting, Hover, and Formatting for Twig.
If you're feeling brave, there are at least two custom UIs for VS Code:
Features full workbench theming
Features full workbench theming
Features full workbench theming
Everything you need for the Azure IoT development: Interact with Azure IoT Hub, manage devices connected to Azure IoT Hub, and develop with code snippets for Azure IoT Hub
Mark lines and jump to them
Copy Relative Path from a File
Commands for upload or copy files of a workspace to a destination.
Generating .gitignore files made easy.
View git log, file or line History
Automatically indexes your git projects and lets you easily toggle between them
GoTo current file's online link in browser and Copy the link in clipboard.
Provides Git CodeLens information (most recent commit, # of authors), on-demand inline blame annotations, status bar blame information, file and blame history explorers, and commands to compare changes with the working tree or previous versions.
Atom like git indicators on active panel
Provides GitHub workflow support. For example browse project, issues, file (the current line), create and manage pull request. Support for other providers (e.g. gitlab or bitbucket) is planned.
Have a look at the README.md on how to get started with the setup for this extension.
Snippets for popular icon fonts such as Font Awesome, Ionicons, Glyphicons, Octicons, Material Design Icons and many more!
Launch a development local Server with live reload feature for static & dynamic pages.
Override the regular Copy and Cut commands to keep selections in a clipboard ring
Visual Studio Code plugin that autocompletes npm modules in import statements.
Compare (diff) text selections within a file, across different files, or to the clipboard
Infer the structure of JSON and paste is as types in many programming languages
Visual Studio Code plugin that autocompletes filenames
Easily switch between projects.
Allows you to send HTTP request and view the response in Visual Studio Code directly.
Synchronize settings, snippets, themes, file icons, launch, keybindings, workspaces and extensions across multiple machines using Github Gist
Scaffold projects using Yeoman
Formatting & Beautification
Align your code by colon(:), assignment(=,+=,-=,*=,/=) and arrow(=>). It has additional support for comma-first coding style and trailing comment.
And it doesn't require you to select what to be aligned, the extension will figure it out by itself.
Automatically add HTML/XML close tag, same as Visual Studio IDE or Sublime Text
Auto rename paired HTML/XML tags
Beautify code in place for VS Code
Transform quotes of ECMAScript string literals
Paste code with "correct" indentation
Sorts lines of text in specific order
Wraps selection or multiple selections with symbol or multiple symbols
Highlight web colors in your editor
Syntax highlighting for the VS Code Output Panel and log files
Dash integration in Visual Studio Code
Levarage your favourite shell commands to edit text
Editor Config for VS Code
Auto-sync your work to remote FTP server
An open source ecosystem for IoT development: supports 350+ embedded boards, 20+ development platforms, 10+ frameworks. Arduino and ARM mbed compatible.
Run various scripts right from VS Code
Send messages and code snippets, upload files to Slack
Provides integration with Spotify Desktop client. Shows the currently playing song in status bar, search lyrics and provides commands for controlling Spotify with buttons and hotkeys.
View an SVG in the editor and export it as data URI scheme or PNG.
Relatively new, but promising extension implementing Vim features in VSCode. Authors suggest to join their Slack channel for feature requests on your favorite Vim features
Resources for extension developers
- vscode-set-text - An easy-to-use VS Code
- vscode-test-content - A method to set/get editor content, and it's selection. Especially useful for unit tests.
- Online TextMate Themes Editor - since VS Code supports TextMate themes, you can create them in this online editor and then create a new VS Code package using Yo Code tool
- Yo Code - Extension Generator
- Open in Code - macOS Finder toolbar app to open current folder in Visual Studio Code
- Themer - Easily create your own theme for VS Code (and matching ones for your other tools).
- Azure Tools for Visual Studio Code - This extension for Visual Studio Code gives Azure developers some convenient commands for creating or accessing resources directly in the editor.
Contributions welcome! Read the contribution guidelines first.
To the extent possible under law, Valerii Iatsko has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.