Provides a simple helper to get an HTML select list of countries. The list of countries comes from the ISO 3166 standard. While it is a relatively neutral source of country names, it will still offend some users.
Users are strongly advised to evaluate the suitability of this list given their user base.
- Updated the country list to change the name of Libyan Arab Jamahiriya to Libya according to the latest ISO 3166 newsletter
- A country in the priority list will be selected there and not in the main list (thanks to yyyc514)
- Removed relics from the pre-gem days
Install as a gem using
gem install country-select
Or put the following in your Gemfile
Simple use supplying model and attribute as parameters:
Supplying priority countries to be placed at the top of the list:
country_select("user", "country_name", [ "United Kingdom", "France", "Germany" ])
- Runtime error raised if any of the user-supplied priority countries do not correlate with those in the main country list.
Note: this may cause existing applications using country-select to fail, but such failures will highlight incorrect usage, enabling the implementation to be corrected so that correct and accurate data may be gathered.
Thanks to Steve Purcell (http://github.com/purcell) for this addition.
- 1.0.4 - updated the country list to match the latest ISO 3166 specification
- 1.0.3 - changed gem name from 'iso-3166-country-select' to just 'country-select'
- 1.0.2 - forked the plugin and made it into a gem
Copyright (c) 2008 Michael Koziarski, released under the MIT license