dotfiles for Bash / ZSH / Git Bash (Windows) / Cygwin (Windows) / Bash on Ubuntu on Windows
Using Git and the bootstrap script
You can clone the repository wherever you want. (I like to keep it in
~/dotfiles as a symlink.) The bootstrapper script will pull in the latest version and copy the files to your home folder.
# get the code cd ~ ; git clone https://github.com/voku/dotfiles.git; cd dotfiles # only for Debian based e.g. Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu etc. ./firstInstallDebianBased.sh # only for Cygwin (Windows) ./firstInstallCygwin.sh # copy the dotfiles into your home directory ./bootstrap.sh
cd into your local
dotfiles repository and then:
Add custom commands without creating a new fork
~/.config_dotfiles does not exists, the "bootstrap.sh"-script will create a default config for you.
~/.config_dotfiles looks something like this:
#!/bin/sh CONFIG_DEFAULT_USER="lars" CONFIG_ZSH_PLUGINS="(git zsh-completions zsh-syntax-highlighting)" CONFIG_BASH_PLUGINS="(git)" CONFIG_ZSH_THEME="voku" CONFIG_BASH_THEME="voku" CONFIG_CHARSET_UTF8=true CONFIG_LANG="en_US" CONFIG_TERM_LOCAL="" # terms: screen byobu tmux CONFIG_TERM_SSH=""
~/.extra exists, it will be sourced along with the other files. You can use this to add a few custom commands without the need to fork this entire repository, or to add commands you don’t want to commit to a public repository.
~/.extra looks something like this:
#!/bin/sh export DOTFILESSRCDIR="/home/lmoelleken/dotfiles/" GIT_AUTHOR_NAME="Lars Moelleken" GIT_COMMITTER_NAME="$GIT_AUTHOR_NAME" git config --file=$HOME/.gitconfig.extra user.name "$GIT_AUTHOR_NAME" GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL="email@example.com" GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL="$GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL" git config --file=$HOME/.gitconfig.extra user.email "$GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL" git config --file=$HOME/.gitconfig.extra push.default simple
You could also use
~/.extra to override settings, functions and aliases from my dotfiles repository. It’s probably better to fork this repository instead, though. And you can use
~/.vimrc.extra to edit the vim settings without touching the main configuration.
- DrVanScott and his dotfiles repository
- TuxCoder and his dotfiles repository
- Mathias Bynens and his awesome dotfiles repository
- @ptb and his OS X Lion Setup repository
- Ben Alman and his dotfiles repository
- Chris Gerke and his tutorial on creating an OS X SOE master image + Insta repository
- Cãtãlin Mariş and his dotfiles repository
- Gianni Chiappetta for sharing his amazing collection of dotfiles
- Jan Moesen and his ancient
.bash_profile+ shiny tilde repository
- Lauri ‘Lri’ Ranta for sharing loads of hidden preferences
- Matijs Brinkhuis and his dotfiles repository
- Nicolas Gallagher and his dotfiles repository
- Sindre Sorhus
- Tom Ryder and his dotfiles repository
- Kevin Suttle and his dotfiles repository and OSXDefaults project
- Haralan Dobrev
- anyone who contributed a patch or made a helpful suggestion