Vole is a web application for sharing words, pictures and videos with others. Data is distributed peer-to-peer using Bittorrent Sync.
- A complete introduction is available on vole.cc.
- Please join the mailing list for announcements and development discussion.
- Follow us on Twitter @volecc.
Currently we are pre-release. The following steps are for interested developers.
- Download the latest version of Vole for Mac OSX, Windows or Linux.
- Or, you can compile it yourself. See CONTRIBUTING.
- Run the Vole application from the command line. First,
cdinto the directory that you placed Vole. Then, on Mac/Linux type
./vole, and on Windows type
- Open a web browser and go to http://localhost:6789.
- Click 'My Profile'
- Enter your name. Enter your Gravatar email (optional).
- Click 'Home'
- Post something. Vole supports Github flavored markdown, and will also auto-embed any image links you put in the text.
Sharing and following
Start by installing Bittorrent Sync.
Following and sharing currently involves manually setting up folders, however we'd like to automate it as soon as Bittorrent Sync releases a build that supports control via an API.
- Grab the read-only ID of the person you want to follow. A directory is in progress at vole.cc. Why not start with Vole Team updates? Our key is RA32XLBBHXMWMECGJAJSJMMPQ3Z2ZGR7K.
- Find the Vole
usersfolder. Unless you changed the defaults, it will be in a directory called
Vole/usersin your home folder.
- Create a new folder in
Vole/users, you should name it after the user that you're about to follow. For example,
- In BitTorrent Sync, add this new folder as a shared folder, using the read-only key you grabbed in step 1. Instructions are available on their site and vary a little by operating system.
- You should receive notification that the folder has sync'd.
- In your browser, see the new posts appear.
Sharing your posts
Find your own user folder, for example, if you created a profile named 'Chuck':
- In Bittorrent Sync, add this folder as a shared folder.
- In the folder options, grab the read-only key. Make sure the key starts with the letter 'B' that signifies it's the read-only one. You can find it by going to the advanced folder preferences. This is the key that you can share with others so they can follow your posts.
- If you want to list your key on vole.cc, make a pull request on the website repo. Here is an example.
To override the default configuration options, make a copy of
config.sample.json and name it
server.listen value to
0.0.0.0:6789 to listen for requests from any network device, instead of just the local machine.
Vole uses semantic versioning.
Please see the CHANGELOG for version history.
Copyright (C) 2013 Vole development team
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.