A minimalist social network made from scratch
simpson (simple social network) is my attempt at creating a minimalist social networking software. It's really bare-bones, with as few features and as little bloat as possible.
I made it completely from scratch, using no frameworks at all, and only one database wrapper library.
simpson is entirely a "for the hell of it" kind of project. I made it for no reason and with no real goals in mind, and I don't assume anyone will ever see or want to use it.
I'm not hosting simpson myself, but you can if you want.
What simpson has
- Users can post messages
- Users can address messages to other users
- Users can post replies to messages
- Users can delete their own messages
- Users have a name, an e-mail address, an avatar and a bio
- Users get a summary of how much was posted since their last visit
- Usable on mobile devices
- Lightweight (something like 20KB)
- Still vaguely usable even with CSS disabled!
What simpson doesn't have
- No customizable feeds
- No friends lists
- No private messages
- No markup or HTML in messages
- No mentions or hashtags
- No like/dislike system
- No user groups
- No notifications
- No sharing
- No apps
- No ads
- No state-of-the art architecture or best practices
- Possibly messy code in a few places
- Probably full of bugs
- Probably even fuller of security holes
- Reevaluate your life choices.
- Put all the files somewhere on your server (anything that runs PHP should work).
- Set up the database by running
- Change the database configuration in
BASE_PATHto point to your simpson directory from your document root.
- simpson should now be up and running, I think!
License and usage and stuff
I don't presently care what becomes of simpson. Use it, fork it, improve it, no credit or anything required, be my guest.