API Gap Repo
What is the API Gap Project Doing?
The API Gap Project is producing a document comparing the APIs and features available across various mobile platforms, and how web APIs and functionality compares. As APIs will contiually be added to native platforms and the web this document will continue to evolve.
- The document is held in the document/ directory
- All other directories and files are currently being used to list the apis we need to include in the document, these will be migrated to the document soon.
How do I contribute to the document?
Please feel free to send in pull requests! Please also raise issues as to how the document should be structured, what APIs we should include and other editorial hints and tips.
A little more about this repository
This repository was set up to compare the features available across various mobile platforms, with a specific focus on how the Web fares in that comparison. The /document is a result of this work.
Each feature is documented as a separate markdown file in the
To document a given feature, please start from the template file, and update it with data on the availability of the said feature across platforms.
For each line in hte list, include one of the following values (using bolding):
- unknown (default if empty): no info gathered on this platform
- browser: for HTML-based platforms, the feature is available and uses the same API as the one defined for browsers
- sysapp: for HTML-based platforms, the feature is available and uses the same API as the one defined by sysapps
- extension: for HTML-based platforms, the feature is available as defined by browsers or sysapps specs, but is extended with additional capabilities
- yes: feature is available
- partial: feature is partially available
- planned: not available yet, but work on this feature has been announced
- alternative: not available directly, but there exists work arounds (e.g. server-side solutions)
- no: feature is not available
- N/A: feature is not applicable to this platform
List of features
Defining what a feature is is tricky; the following documents can be used as source of inspiration: