- Assigned: 9/4
- Due: 9/7 10AM sharp
This assignment has two parts. In the first part, you will setup a programming environment and perform some data analysis. In the second part, you will fill out a Google form to describe a bit about yourself and understand the class expectations.
Part 1: Data Analysis
For this lab, we've partnered with Instabase to provide you with a hosted IPython environment. To get started, create an account on the website (note that this URL is special for this class). The service is still in beta, so:
- USE THE FOLLOWING TOKEN IN ORDER TO REGISTER:
- Go to https://www.instabase.com/account/register?use_token=true
- Make sure you sign up with your columbia email.
- If you did not register using the token, you can still enter the token at this login page: https://www.instabase.com/account/login?use_token=true
After you've signed up, login and follow the steps below -
- Create a new repository. Give it a name / description of your liking and set the visibility to private.
- go to https://www.instabase.com/ewu/w4111-public/fs/Instabase%20Drive/
- Select the
HW0folder, click on "more", then "Copy", then pick your repository, and copy to
HW0should now be in the
fs/Instabase Drive/folder of your repository.
- Navigate to the
HW0folder in your repository, right click
hw0.ipynband open the file with
Jupyter. This will open the file using Jupyter (used to be IPython) Notebook.
- Follow the instructions in the notebook to complete and submit homework 0
- There are numerous resources that can introduce you to Jupyter Notebook.
- Go to your instabase account settings by clicking on the smiley face in the upper right of instabase.com, and then clicking on settings
- Click on "Application" in the left side bar
- Click "Enable logging" and then "Update Notebook Settings".
Part 2: Google Form
Fill out this google form