Waiting is a book by Noura Ghazi Safadi, a Syrian human rights lawyer, born in Damascus in 1981, written to her husband Bassel Khartabil Safadi from 2012-2015, while he was imprisoned by the Syrian government in Damascus. waiting4bassel.cc/
This repository contains the Markdown source code in Gitbook format, which can be used to generate HTML and EPUB versions of the book.
npm install gitbook-cli -g
Preview the book website on
Build a static website:
Generate an EPUB:
gitbook epub . Waiting.epub
As of writing there are bugs in the gitbook toolchain that prevent it from generating EPUB files that will pass all validation checks. In order to overcome these problems, you can use a forked version of gitbook.
Clone the forked version:
git clone -b custom email@example.com:christopheradams/gitbook.git ~/gitbook-custom cd ~/gitbook-custom npm install
Link the gitbook command to the custom version:
gitbook versions:link ~/gitbook-custom
Now every time you run the
gitbook command, it will use the custom version.
You can see what version you are using with the command:
To stop using the custom version:
gitbook versions:uninstall latest
For Normal People
- Download the current copy of the book: https://github.com/waiting4bassel/waiting-gitbook/archive/master.zip
- Copy the "en" folder to your language.
- Translate the book by altering the files in your language folder
- Communicate with us that you are translating the book: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send the completed translations to us and we will help make sure your translations work.
Right now, best is to:
- Clone the repository.
- Copy the "en" folder and change to your language ISO code.
- Add your language to lang.md
- Translate the content inside your changed folder.
- Commit your changes to a new branch.
- When ready, send a pull request for your changes to this master repository.
Please email email@example.com