awless is a fast, powerful and easy-to-use command line interface (CLI) to manage Amazon Web Services.
awless will help you achieve your goals without leaving your terminal:
- run frequent actions by using simple commands
- get nice and readable output (for humans) that machine know how to parse too
- explore and query your infrastructure and cloud resources, even offline
- ensure smart defaults & security best practices
- write and run powerful templates (see
- connect to your instances easily
Choose one of the following options:
- On macOS, use homebrew:
brew tap wallix/awless; brew install awless
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wallix/awless/master/getawless.sh | bash
- Download the latest
awlessbinaries (Windows/Linux/macOS) from Github
- If you have Golang already installed, install from the source with:
go get -u github.com/wallix/awless
- Clear and easy listing of multi-region cloud resources (subnets, instances, users, buckets, records, etc.) on AWS EC2, IAM, S3, RDS, AutoScaling, SNS, SQS, Route53, CloudWatch, CloudFormation and Lambda:
- Output formats either human (Markdown-compatible tables, trees) or machine readable (csv, tsv, json, ...):
- Listing can be filtered via resource properties or resources tags:
- Explore a resource given only an id, name or arn (properties, relations, dependencies, ...):
- Creation, update and deletion (CRUD) of cloud resources and complex infrastructure with smart defaults and sound autocomplete through powerful awless templates:
awless run my-awless-templates/create_my_infra.txt
- Powerful CRUD CLI one-liner (integrated in the awless templating engine) with:
awless create instance ...,
awless create vpc ...,
awless attach policy ...
- Leveraging AWS
userdatato provision instance on creation from remote (i.e http) or local scripts:
awless create instance userdata=http://...
- Easy reporting of all the CLI template executions:
- Revert of executed templates and resources creation:
- Clean and simple ssh to instances:
- Resolve public images dynamically (i.e. independant of the region specific AMI id):
awless search images canonical:ubuntu:xenial --id-only
- Aliasing of resources through their natural name so you don't have to always use cryptic ids that are impossible to remember
- Inspectors are small CLI utilities to run analysis on your cloud resources graphs:
- Manual sync mode to fetch & store resources locally. Then query & inspect your cloud offline:
- CLI autocompletion for Unix/Linux's bash and zsh
Take the tour at Getting Started (wiki).
Or read the introductory blog post about awless.
awless is an open source project created by Henri Binsztok, Quentin Bourgerie, Simon Caplette and François-Xavier Aguessy at Wallix.
awless is released under the Apache License and sponsored by Wallix.
Disclaimer: Awless allows for easy resource creation with your cloud provider; we will not be responsible for any cloud costs incurred (even if you create a million instances using awless templates).
Contributors are welcome! Please head to Contributing (wiki) to learn more.