Chitinous Crooks is a roguelike game made in seven days for the 2015 7DRL Challenge. It's a very traditional roguelike in both gameplay and aesthetics. But you have no experience levels or items to help you, just a random set of god-granted abilities. Each dungeon level, you can use up to three of these, and every time you pass a level your health is restored and you gain additional abilities to choose from.
- Arrow keys, hjkl, or wasd to move.
- [Space] or [.] to wait.
- [1 - 9] to invoke your god's blessings
- [;] to look around you
- [b] to show descriptions of blessings
- [e] to show descriptions of enemies
- [?] to show help screen
- Find the upstairs
<on each floor.
- You don't need to kill every enemy.
- Find the Jewel of Zot
*on Level 7 to win!
- Each Blessing costs 1 favor to invoke.
- Blessings are powerful, but you can only use 3 per level. Choose wisely.
- Levi favors those who progress. Health and favor are restored each level.
- New blessings become available each level.
7DRL Challenge History
- Saturday: Suddenly realize it is the week of the 7drl challenge.
- Sunday: Never made a game before. No detailed plans. Decide to try anyway. Start coding at around 11:30 pm...
- Monday (Day 1): Have been working on another js project recently so I feel like I have momentum. I'll use RoT.js.
- Use the tutorial at Coding Cookies to get a foundation. Strip out stuff I don't need like inventory and experience.
- Start on gameplay idea based loosely on card games. You randomly draw a hand of cards (prayers, spells). You can only 'play' so many per turn/level/whatever. Not straying too far for basic roguelike gameplay as I'm expecting a lot of effort just to make a game that works.
- Got an @ in a dungeon.
- Tuesday: I need a theme. Anything but goblins. I dunno, lobsterfolk? Sure. Sounds good. Ooh, and they can have an Atlantissy dungeon. And the player's god and abilities can be sea themed. Okay, this works.
- Add a few lobsterfolk enemies and start working on abilities system.
- Wednesday: Didn't have a lot of time today. Implement a few abilities.
- Thursday: Implement more abilities.
- Friday: Didn't get a chance to work on the game.
- Saturday: Add crabfolk and snails.
- Add win and lose screens.
- Sunday (Day 7): Final abilities.
- Bug fixing.
- Add touchscreen controls.
- Game finished around 10:40 pm.
POST 7DRL Changelog
- Add link to original 7DRL version.
- Buff healing from 'Swell' to 4HP.
- Increase size of 'Vortex Ward' and make it push away directly adjacent enemies.
- Increase 'Flow Into Time' duration to 8 turns, but make player attacks do 0 damage while it's active.
- Remove 'Overflowing'.
- Add a message when you enter a new floor that informs player that they are healed and have new blessings.
- Make the text 'Jewel of Zot' consistently magenta.
- Clean up the 'look' screen.
- Add a note to indicate that you can move by swiping on touchscreens.
- Responsive canvas sizing for small screens.
- Change swipe action to only work on game canvas.
- Other touch improvements.
- Prevent unwanted scrolling from arrow keys, spacebar, etc.
- A few other UI tweaks.
- Touch buttons shouldn't fire twice on Dolphin browser anymore.
- Game window scales wider on small screens now.