cocos2d-x is a multi-platform framework for building 2d games, interactive books, demos and other graphical applications. It is based on cocos2d-iphone, but instead of using Objective-C, it uses C++. It works on iOS, Android, Windows Phone, OS X, Windows and Linux.
- Easy to use
- Community Supported
Git user attention
clone the repo from GitHub.
$ git clone email@example.com:cocos2d/cocos2d-x.git
After cloning the repo, please execute
download-deps.pyto download and install dependencies.
$ cd cocos2d-x $ python download-deps.py
$ cd cocos2d-x $ git submodule update --init
How to start a new game
- Download the code from cocos2d download site
- Run the
$ cd cocos2d-x $ ./setup.py $ source FILE_TO_SAVE_SYSTEM_VARIABLE $ cocos new MyGame -p com.your_company.mygame -l cpp -d NEW_PROJECTS_DIR $ cd NEW_PROJECTS_DIR/MyGame
Build and run a new project for Android
$ cocos run -p android -j 4
Build and run a new project for iOS
$ cocos run -p ios
Build and run a new project for OSX
$ cocos run -p mac
Build and run a new project for Linux
if you never run cocos2d-x on Linux, you need to install all dependencies by the script in cocos2d/build/install-deps-linux.sh
$ cd cocos2d-x/build $ ./install-deps-linux.sh
$ cd NEW_PROJECTS_DIR/MyGame $ cocos run -p linux
Build and run new project for win32
$ cocos run -p win32
Build and run new project for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1
$ cocos new MyGame -p com.your_company.mygame -l cpp -d projects
Visual Studio 2013 Update 4 or later is required.
Starting with Cocos2d-x v3.3, you can create Windows 8.1 Universal Apps (Windows Store and Windows Phone 8.1) See more info on How to install and Create games on Windows RT (Windows and Windows Phone 8.1) at http://msopentech.github.io/cocos2d-x/
Starting with Cocos2d-x v3.6 there will no longer be support for Windows Phone 8.0
- Scene management (workflow)
- Transitions between scenes
- Sprites and Sprite Sheets
- Effects: Lens, Ripple, Waves, Liquid, etc.
- Actions (behaviours):
- Trasformation Actions: Move, Rotate, Scale, Fade, Tint, etc.
- Composable actions: Sequence, Spawn, Repeat, Reverse
- Ease Actions: Exp, Sin, Cubic, Elastic, etc.
- Misc actions: CallFunc, OrbitCamera, Follow, Tween
- Basic menus and buttons
- Integrated with physics engines: Box2d and Chipmunk
- Particle system
- Skeleton Animations: Spine and Armature support
- Fast font rendering using Fixed and Variable width fonts
- Support for .ttf fonts
- Tile Map support: Orthogonal, Isometric and Hexagonal
- Parallax scrolling
- Motion Streak
- Render To Texture
- Touch/Accelerometer on mobile devices
- Touch/Mouse/Keyboard on desktop
- Sound Engine support (CocosDenshion library) based on OpenAL
- Integrated Slow motion/Fast forward
- Fast and compressed textures: PVR compressed and uncompressed textures, ETC1 compressed textures, and more
- Resolution Independent
- Open Source Commercial Friendly(MIT): Compatible with open and closed source projects
- OpenGL ES 2.0 (mobile) / OpenGL 2.1 (desktop) based
- Mac OS X 10.7+, Xcode 5.1+
- or Ubuntu 12.10+, CMake 2.6+
- or Windows 7+, VS 2013+
- Python 2.7.5
- NDK r10c+ is required to build Android games
- Windows Phone/Store 8.0 VS 2013+
- Windows Phone/Store 8.1 VS 2013 Update 3+
- iOS 5.0+ for iPhone / iPad games
- Android 2.3+ for Android games
- Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 for Windows Phone games
- OS X v10.6+ for Mac games
- Windows 7+ for Win games
- Windows 8+ for WinRT games (Modern Apps)
Select the test you want from Xcode Scheme chooser.
- For OS X / iOS
$ cd cocos2d-x/build $ open cocos2d_tests.xcodeproj
- For Linux
$ cd cocos2d-x/build $ ./install-deps-linux.sh $ cmake .. $ make
$ bin/cpp-empty-test/cpp-empty-test or $ bin/lua-empty-test/lua-empty-test
You may meet building errors when building libGLFW.so. It is because libGL.so directs to an error target, you should make it to direct to a correct one. `install-deps-linux.sh` only has to be run once.
- For Windows
- For Windows 8.1 Universal Apps (Phone and Store)
- For Android
$ cd cocos2d-x/build $ python ./android-build.py cpp-empty-test -p 10 $ adb install ../tests/cpp-empty-test/proj.android/bin/CppEmptyTest-debug.apk
Then click item on Android device to run tests. Available value of
-p is the API level, cocos2d-x supports from level 10.
Contributing to the Project
Did you find a bug? Do you have feature request? Do you want to merge a feature?