I can always help. Installing things is frustrating.
You might need to install ruby.
You will also need to install gnuplot and imagemagick.
First, make a directory in /data and /implementation with your name.
To do that (replace your_name with your name or handle):
mkdir data/your_name mkdir implementation/your_name
Second, copy the examples:
cp data/wilkie/* data/your_name cp implementation/data_analysis/wilkie.rb implementation/data_analysis/your_name.rb cp implementation/data_plot/wilkie.rb implementation/data_plot/your_name.rb cp implementation/data_loader/wilkie.rb implementation/data_loader/your_name.rb
Now, you can at this point look at how my example works (again, substitute my name, wilkie, with your own)
ruby plot.rb wilkie
ruby plot.rb your_name
https://nycopendata.socrata.com/ - New York City civic data (download as JSON or XLS) http://www.pewresearch.org/data/download-datasets/ - Pew research data (tech usage, social trends, demographics) (usually in XLS)
Put all of your data in data/wilkie
In DataLoader, you figure out how to load the data from the files you are using
- my example loads from json and from an xls (excel spreadsheet)
In DataAnalysis, you can rework some of the data
- in my example, I extended values that were missing by simply naively using existing data
In DataPlot, you can plot your result
- gnuplot examples are examples/line.rb and examples/box.rb
- gruff examples are examples/pie_chart.rb
- you can just drop one of those in, and adjust it until it works for you :)