Copyright © 2012-2013 Pierre Raybaut
Copyright © 2014-2017 The Winpython development team https://github.com/winpython/
Licensed under the terms of the MIT License (see winpython/__init__.py for details)
WinPython is a portable distribution of the Python programming language for Windows (http://winpython.github.io).
This is the winpython Python package, not the distribution itself. It includes two main features:
- WinPython Package Manager (WPPM)
- let you install/uninstall to your WinPython distribution any standard Python package built with distutils (e.g. "dummypackage-2.1.win-amd64-py3.4.exe") or with wheels (e.g. "dummypackage-2.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl")
- WinPython build toolchain
- make.py is the script used to build a WinPython distribution from (almost) scratch.
- Python2 >= 2.7 or Python3 >= 3.4
- PyQt4 >= 4.11 or PyQt5 >= 5.4 (PyQt4 is recommended)
- pip >= 7.1.0 and setuptools >= 17.1.1
- 7zip (directory has to be available in PATH)
- "Large strings" special build (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Special_Builds)
- with TextReplace plugin installed
- PyQt4/5 is required to execute WinPython Control Panel/Ipython Qt and Qt related packages for both WinPython 2.x and 3.x releases. if not installed, these packages will not execute.
From the source package (see section 'Building dependencies'), you may install WinPython using the integrated setup.py script based on Python standard library distutils with the following command:
python setup.py install
Note that distutils does not uninstall previous versions of Python packages: it simply copies files on top of an existing installation. When using this command, it is thus highly recommended to uninstall manually any previous version of WinPython by removing the associated directory ('winpython' in your site-packages directory).
From the Python package index, you may simply install WinPython and upgrade an existing installation using pip:
But the easiest way to install the last stable release of WinPython is by using an executable installer: http://winpython.github.io/