Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
WinPython is a portable distribution of Python. In other words, even if it provides a working Python environment, WinPython does not install Python on your machine.
To install package on Winpython:
- either launch "WinPython Command Prompt" and use the standard PIP Python package manager
- either download a packages from pypi.io or http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ , and install them via the graphical WinPython Package Manager "WinPython Control Panel".
The WinPython Package Manager (WPPM) may be removed in the future, when "PIP" will get a standard Graphic User Interface, a Python program handling package managing tasks (install, uninstall or upgrade packages) for a portable Python distribution.
WPPM currently supports the following Python package formats:
- Standard PIP package -- ** .whl, .zip, .tar.gz**
- (soon deprecated) [Standard executable installers]: -- ** .exe files ** (filename has the form: foo-1.0.win32-py2.7.exe)
Get Python packages
The main website for finding and downloading Python packages is obviously PyPI , the Python Package Index.
Please note that Christoph Gohlke's Unofficial Windows Binaries for Python Extension Packages provides tons of ready-to-install distutils packages. WPPM GUI frontend
WPPM has a GUI frontend which is known as the WinPython Control Panel.
One (optional) Exception: PIP Package itself
to update PIP package itself and keep WinPython as a movable directory:
- launch Winpython provided "scripts\upgrade_pip.bat"
- or , after PIP upgrade, launch "scripts\make_winpython_movable.bat"
if you do a standard PIP upgrade (or launch "scripts\make_winpython_fix.bat"), all is good as long as you don't move the WinPython directory.
Old wiki page: http://sourceforge.net/p/winpython/wiki/WPPM/