SEPA Direct Debit
With SEPA Direct Debit Core, creditors may collect payments in EUR both domestically and in other SEPA member countries.
On this page SEPA Direct Debit always refers to SEPA Direct Debit Core.
SEPA Direct Debit Configuration
- Select System/Configuration/Payment Methods.
- Click Wirecard SEPA Direct Debit to open the SEPA Direct Debit configuration page:
SEPA Direct Debit payment can be performed with two different payment actions:
1. Authorization: Payments for orders are not captured/invoiced but only authorized by the consumer and thus only reserved. For debit, you have to confirm/capture the amount manually.
- This payment action triggers the transaction type authorization for payment method SEPA Direct Debit.
2. Purchase: Payments for orders are captured/invoiced automatically.
- This payment action triggers the transaction type debit for payment method SEPA Direct Debit.
SEPA Direct Debit payments require a notification from SEPA to be completed. Therefore, SEPA Direct Debit payments are marked as Pending for up to two days.
Send Additional Information
If this feature is set to Yes, additional data will be sent for the purpose of fraud protection. This additional data includes billing/shipping address, shopping basket, and descriptor.
Note: The additional information includes the descriptor even if the descriptor option is set to No.
Set this feature to Yes to display an input field for the consumer's BIC during checkout process. In this case, this is a mandatory input field for your consumer.
The descriptor is the text representing an order on the consumer's bank statement issued by their bank. It provides information for the consumer, as it associates a specific debit on the consumer's account with the respective purchase in your shop.
- If the descriptor is set to No with the Send Additional Information option set to No, the Provider Transaction Reference ID is provided for the bank statement.
- If the descriptor is set to Yes with the Send Additional Information option set to Yes, the default descriptor text consists of up to 9 characters of the shop name and the full order number. The default maximum length is 20.
- To modify the descriptor, use the method
getDescriptorin the file
- Max. total descriptor length: 100 characters.
- To modify the descriptor, use the method
Both Descriptor and Send Additional Information must be set to Yes to send the descriptor with each request/response.
SEPA Direct Debit requires a Creditor ID to create a SEPA Direct Debit Mandate and supports configuration fields for creditor name and creditor address to be displayed in the mandate.
In order to be able to offer SEPA Direct Debit as a payment method, you have to apply for a Creditor Identifier. The Creditor ID is a mandatory identifier for anyone who wants to offer SEPA Direct Debit. It allows consumers to be able to manage their mandates with merchants more easily. SEPA Direct Debit supports configuration for the creditor name and the creditor city to be displayed in the mandate.
This strongly depends on the local rules and regulations. Depending on the country of origin, the merchant may need to apply for the Creditor ID at a tax office, local authority, or another organization.
A German merchant needs to apply for a Creditor ID at the Bundesbank Deutschland. To learn more about how to apply for a Creditor ID, please refer to http://www.bundesbank.de.
An Austrian merchant needs to apply for a Creditor ID at the Österreichische Nationalbank. To learn more about how to apply for a Creditor ID in Austria, refer to www.oenb.at.
Supported Post-Processing Operations
The post-processing operations can be triggered in the Magento order management as described in Post-Processing Operations Workflow.
SEPA Direct Debit requires some time to confirm a transaction.
Please note that even when a transaction may have been successfully processed by the consumer's bank, the transaction might still be reversed due to, for example, insufficient funds on the consumer's bank account. Should this be the case, a new transaction using the transaction type debit-return will be created. This transaction will contain a detailed description of what happened.
It should further be noted that a consumer can object to any authorized debit without giving a reason for up to 8 weeks. In this case a transaction of type debit-return will be created.
Depending on your Payment Action settings, there are different options for SEPA Direct Debit post-processing operation workflow:
Payment Action Authorization
1. Invoice: Triggers transaction type debit. The payment will be captured/invoiced, and the corresponding order in Magento order management will be updated to status Processing.
2. Credit Memo: Triggers transaction type sepacredit. The payment/invoice will be refunded, and the corresponding order in Magento order management will be updated to status Closed.
Payment Action Purchase
1. Credit Memo: Triggers transaction type sepacredit. The payment/invoice will be refunded, and the corresponding order in Magento order management will be updated to status Closed.
You also have the option of partial Credit Memo/Invoice. Partial Credit Memo/Invoice is possible until the payment has been refunded/captured in full.
For a step-by-step guide to canceling, invoicing and refunding payments, go to our Post-Processing Operations Workflow page.
Please be aware that stock management is not included in the post-processing operations triggered in the Wirecard extension but only in Magento order management.