ruby-build provides a simple way to compile and install different versions of Ruby on UNIX-like systems.
$ git clone git://github.com/sstephenson/ruby-build.git $ cd ruby-build $ ./install.sh
This will install ruby-build into
/usr/local. If you do not have
write permission to
/usr/local, you will need to run
./install.sh instead. You can install to a different prefix by
PREFIX environment variable.
If you only intend to use ruby-build via rbenv then you can install it locally as a plugin:
$ mkdir -p ~/.rbenv/plugins $ cd ~/.rbenv/plugins $ git clone git://github.com/sstephenson/ruby-build.git
To install a Ruby version, run the
ruby-build command with the path
to a definition file and the path where you want to install it. (A
number of built-in
may be specified instead.)
$ ruby-build 1.9.2-p290 ~/local/ruby-1.9.2-p290 ... $ ~/local/ruby-1.9.2-p290/bin/ruby --version ruby 1.9.2p290 (2011-07-09 revision 32553) [x86_64-darwin11.0.0]
You can use it with rbenv:
$ ruby-build 1.9.2-p290 ~/.rbenv/versions/1.9.2-p290
ruby-build provides an
rbenv-install command that shortens this to:
$ rbenv install 1.9.2-p290
- Added definitions for REE 1.8.7-2011.12 and 1.8.7-2012.01.
- Added definitions for JRuby 184.108.40.206 and 1.6.6.
- Added definitions for Ruby 1.8.7-p358 and 1.9.3-p125.
- Updated the readme with instructions for installing ruby-build as an rbenv plugin.
- Added a definition for MagLev 1.0.0.
- Added support for overriding
makeoptions with the
- Removed RubyGems installations from JRuby definitions in favor of the bundled RubyGems versions.
- Added a
- Added definitions for REE 1.8.7-2009.09 and 1.8.7-2010.01.
- Added definitions for Ruby 1.8.6-p383, 1.8.7-p302 and 1.8.7-p357.
- Updated the JRuby 1.7.0-dev snapshot URL.
- Changed the GCC detector to look for
gcc-*anywhere in the
$PATH, not just
- Added a Ruby 1.8.7-p334 definition.
- Renamed the 1.9.4-dev definition to 2.0.0-dev to reflect the new version numbering scheme.
- ruby-build now automatically displays the last 10 lines of the error log, if any, when a build fails.
- Improved the GCC detection routines and added a more helpful error message for Xcode 4.2 users.
- JRuby installation no longer requires the install prefix to exist first.
- You can now pass
$CONFIGURE_OPTSto the REE definitions.
- Added a JRuby 1.6.5 definition.
- Added a Ruby 1.9.2-p180 definition.
- Added a Ruby 1.9.3-p0 definition.
- ruby-build now uses the
--with-gccconfigure flag on OS X Lion.
- Added definitions for REE 1.8.7-2010.02 and 1.8.6-2009.06.
rbenv rehashafter installation.
- Added a Ruby 1.9.3-rc1 definition.
- Updated the JRuby defintions to install the
- Updated the rbx-2.0.0 definition to point to the master branch.
- Added a jruby-1.7.0-dev definition.
- Added a Ruby 1.9.4-dev definition.
- Added an rbx-2.0.0-dev definition for Rubinius 2.0.0 from git.
- Added support for setting
./configureoptions with the
- Added a 1.9.3-dev definition for Ruby 1.9.3 from Git.
- Added support for fetching package sources via Git.
- Added an
rbenv-installscript which provides an
installcommand for rbenv users.
- Changed the REE definition not to install its default gem collection.
- Reverted a poorly-tested change that intended to enable support for relative installation paths.
- Initial public release.
(The MIT License)
Copyright (c) 2011 Sam Stephenson
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.