Wo ist Markt?
A small visualization of the weekly markets in different cities. Available at: http://wo-ist-markt.de
- Five minutes talk about the project at 33C3 (12/2016)
- Short project summary in a Konrad Adenauer Stiftung publication (02/2017) (last page, in German)
Wo ist Markt? aims at providing an easy to use website for market information. Visitors of the website should be able to intuitively get answers to the following questions:
- Where does a market take place?
- When does a market take place?
Therefore, the website shows the position of markets as markers on a map. Each marker can be clicked or tapped to reveal the detail information associated with this market - most important, the opening hours. This can been seen on the following screenshot.
Kinds of markets
The project is not limited to specific kinds of markets. Typical markets in cities are:
- Farmer markets (selling vegetable, fruits, fish, plants, ...)
- Flea markets (selling used stuff, antique goods, ...)
The actual information (title, location, opening hours, ...) about the markets can be provided by anyone. In the optimal case it is provided by a city as open data. If not, any volunteer can collect such data and contribute it to the project. Market data must be maintained individually. There is no central project team to take care of updating data of multiple cities. This is a distributed project. This is also the reason why cities are missing. It needs someone to retrieve and add the data. It is of your choice if you collect the data manually or if you automate it with a script. If you need inspiration on how to automate this have a look at the preprocessing folder.
The project has been started by @torfsen as part of the Open Knowledge Lab Karlsruhe in February 2015. To support more cities the code has been refactored by @johnjohndoe as part of the Open Knowledge Lab Berlin in February 2016.
The individual market data for supported cities is displayed when the city name is given in the address bar of the browser.
By default or on error Karlsruhe is rendered.
- You are very welcome to get involved in the project. Therefore, we prepared a contribution guide which explains how to add market data and how to start coding on the project.
- Please use the GitHub issue tracker to discuss new and existing ideas.
- Come join the converation about this project in our Slack channel. Write to tobias DOT preuss AT googlemail DOT com if you need an invitation for the Slack group.
Tests can be run using npm:
$ npm install # Just once after you've cloned the repo $ npm test # Whenever you want to run the tests
Please see also CONTRIBUTING.md on how to start development.
This website is hosted on Netlify.
When a commit is added to the
master branch then Netlify automatically publishes this
state as the new version of the website available under https://wo-ist-markt.de.