pepbut is Wobscale's authoritative DNS server and record update API / console, written in Rust.
It is in development and should not be used in production.
Some of the implementation is inspired by TRust-DNS.
pepbut requires Rust 1.27 or later to build.
Goals and non-goals
- Fast (de)serialization of zone files (no parsers!)
- CNAME flattening (defining CNAMEs at the root of zones, but resolving and returning A/AAAA records)
- Wildcard record support
- An API for updating records
- A web interface that uses the API to update records
- Recursive resolving (notwithstanding CNAME flattening)
- Use as a secondary DNS server
- Zone transfers (AXFR)