Workarea Browse Option
A Workarea Commerce plugin that enables the display of products by their various options (e.g. color) when browsing them in the Storefront.
- Allows each product to be "broken out" into multiple representations when browsing in the Storefront, based on a particular product option, such as color
- Allows admins to choose which products "browse by option" and to choose the specific option for each product
- Allows admins to choose a particular representation of the product (e.g. the blue one) when featuring it within a category or search results
- Prevents representations of the same product from appearing in collections of related products (e.g. upsells)
Add the gem to your application's Gemfile:
# ... gem 'workarea-browse_option' # ...
Update your application's bundle.
cd path/to/application bundle
Administration of Browse Options
- When editing a product in the Admin (or bulk editing many), an administrator can choose a "browses by" option for that product
- The UI for choosing this option is a select menu, which is populated with the keys of the details for all of the product's variants
- When a value is selected for the browse option, the product is said to "browse by option" and is represented differently in Elasticsearch (see below)
- Each product's attributes card in the Admin displays its browse option (if any)
Search Indexing & Browsing
- Products that browse by option are stored as multiple documents (one per value of the selected option) within each Storefront search index
- Each option-specific search document is built from only those variants of the product that match the particular option value (e.g. blue for color)
- When browsing (e.g. search results and category listings), such products potentially appear in results multiple times (up to once per search document in that index)
- Each representation of a product uses a relevant product image (if available), such as a blue image for the blue representation of the product
- Clicking through any of the product's browse results takes the customer to the same product details (from Mongo)
State/Caching in the Storefront
- If a product browses by option, the particular option value is persisted through the
:optionparam when clicking through to the product's details
- When a product browses by option and the
:optionparam is set, the specific option value is used in the product's cache key, affecting show, summary, and pricing view caches
Workarea Commerce Documentation
See https://developer.workarea.com for Workarea Commerce documentation.
Workarea Browse Option is released under the Business Software License