AMA Bot is an open-source Discord bot for hosting crown-sourced interviews right in your Discord server.
AMA Bot has been used to host guests like Rene Ritchie and Tailosive Tech, with hundreds of thousands of internet followers
There is no publicly available instance being hosted, but it's fairly easy to set up the bot for use in your own server
Hosting your own instance
- Python version 3.9 or higher
- A MongoDB account and cluster (this is free)
- A Discord application and bot account (also free)
- Clone the repository:
git clone https://github.com/wwwaffles/amabot.git
- Login with your Discord account here and click "New Application"
- Click "Bot", then "Add Bot", then "Yes, do it"
- Name your bot and add a profile picture (optional)
- Copy and save your token somewhere safe
- Create a MongoDB cluster, this should be easy to figure out. Give a database user access to the amabot collection and grab a URI for that user. Use Google as a resource if you're having difficulties
- Create a collection called "amabot"
- Rename config_example.py to config.py and replace the variables as described in the file
- Rename .env.example to .env and paste in your Discord bot token and Mongo URI
- Navigate to the main bot folder in terminal and type run
pipenv run python3 main.py
For support, join my Discord Guild
Using The Bot
When a user posts a question (with a question mark) in the specified submission channel it'll be sent to the queue channel. When a mod approves the question with a reaction it'll be sent to the ama channel where the guest can answer the question by replying to the message using Discord's built-in replies
The queue channel should only be viewable by mods and the guest answer channel should only be viewable by mods and the guest.
Run the help command to get a list of commands, they're all self-explanatory.
I encourage community contributions! I'll merge any helpful pull requests
Use this as a guide