Be notified of new releases
Create your free GitHub account today to subscribe to this repository for new releases and build software alongside 28 million developers.Sign up
- Added Firefox support, download the add-on here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/xbs/
- Huge improvements to encryption: now uses native Web Crypto API rather than external cryptography library, key derivation uses PBKDF2 with 250,000 rounds of SHA-256, encryption uses AES-GCM with a random 16 byte IV and the user's random 32 char sync ID as a salt. For comparison, LastPass' key derivation uses a similar approach but with only 100,100 rounds by default.
- Existing syncs will be automatically upgraded to use the latest encryption. Upgraded syncs cannot sync to older version of xBrowserSync.
- Data is now compressed before being encrypted reducing sync size by up to 60%.
- When adding or modifying a bookmark using the xBrowserSync interface, local bookmarks are no longer removed and re-added - only the target bookmark is affected.
- xBrowserSync now adds bookmarks by default directly to Other Bookmarks, the
_xBrowserSync_folder is no longer used and is renamed to
Legacy xBrowserSync bookmarkson upgrade.
- When creating a new sync, password must now be confirmed and required password complexity has been increased to ensure stronger encryption.
- Updated to use smaller font files for faster more responsive experience.
- Page metadata collection method improved, content scripts no longer run automatically when a page is loaded and page metadata no longer needs to be stored in browser's local storage cache.
- Latest sync changes now pulled down on browser start up.
- Ability to create new sync remove from mobile apps to prevent user deleting all local bookmarks inadvertently.
- Sync confirmation text updated to clearly inform user that local bookmarks data will be deleted.
- Login panel fields now use monospace font.
- Bookmark and Change Service panels now display validation messages.
- Bookmark panel URL field now much less restrictive to allow for different bookmark formats.
- Bookmark panel URL field validation now checks if URL already exists.
- Bookmark panel tags now respect maximum width by displaying ellipses if tag text too long to show.
- Bookmark panel tags field no longer suggest tags that have already been added.
- Change Service panel now allows IP addresses as well as host names.
- Service panel now displays loading text when retrieving service status.
- Service panel now displays data usage in most relevant unit.
- Panel styling updated to include drop shadows.
- About panel cleaned up to display only relevant information.
- Message now displayed when app is updated with link to release notes.
- Dependencies updated.
- Many, many more minor enhancements and bug fixes.
- Android and iOS apps released!
- Redesigned, more intuitive sync/login panel and settings panel.
- Cleaned up extension dependencies for smaller footprint and faster loading.
- Added support for bookmarklets.
- Search queries now allow commas between keywords.
- Titleless bookmarks now display their URL host as a title.
- Bookmark descriptions are now shortened to 300 characters to the nearest word.
- “Connection Lost” warnings are no longer shown when checking for updates in the background.
- Many, many more minor enhancements and bug fixes.
- [Added] Search results are now sorted in order of highest score and date bookmark added. Note: for existing syncs, only bookmarks added after v1.2.1 was installed will be sorted by date added.
- [Added] Searching with no search terms entered displays bookmarks in order of date bookmark added. Note: for existing syncs, only bookmarks added after v1.2.1 was installed will be sorted by date added.
- [Added] Support for Twitter meta page tags.
- [Fixed] Can now handle bookmarks without titles.
- [Fixed] Searching for "un" no longer displays "undefined" as a suggestion.
- [Fixed] Page meta tag detection no longer case sensitive.
- [Added] Mobile apps support. Expect releases for Android and iOS very soon.
- [Added] Firefox support. xBrowserSync now works with Firefox's new WebExtensions browser extension API. However, Mozilla are still in the process of implementing the full API used by Chrome and currently there are gaps, some of which xBrowserSync depends on. Once support has been added xBrowserSync will be released for Firefox.
- [Added] Data usage chart. Check how much of your allocated sync data you are currently using in Settings > Sync > Data Usage.
- [Added] Adding a bookmark via native browser bookmark button now adds description and tags metadata automatically.
- [Added] Bookmark updates made whilst offline will now be synced automatically when connection is restored.
- [Added] About panel (this).
- [Fixed] Synced data is now left encrypted before being cached locally, for extra security.
- [Fixed] QR code now displayed using canvas, much clearer at higher resolutions.
- [Fixed] Bookmark searches no longer match partial words to improve results relevance.
- [Fixed] Suppressed the frequency of alerts if unable to connect to the xBrowserSync service when syncing in background.
- Numerous other minor enhancements and bug fixes.
- Updated website links to https.
- Stopped punctuation appearing in search lookahead.
- Fixed change conflict when data out of sync.
- Fixed issue with browser action icon sometimes not updating correctly.
- Fixed some links not opening in current window in incognito mode.
- Fixed error message for invalid IDs.
- Added close button to alerts.
- Major rework to support bookmark containers, which fixes issues matching Bookmarks Bar on different platforms as well as allowing for future syncing of bookmarks in other locations besides Other Bookmarks and Bookmarks Bar.
- Fixed bug when moving folders, children are not moved, and when moving bookmarks, tags and description is removed.
- Updated init code to speed up initial display.
- Added confirmation for toolbar sync.
- Change default service to https://api.xbrowsersync.org/.
- Fixed focus on search bar or secret field on load.
- Fixed bookmarks panel not always adjusting description field height correctly.
- Fixed bookmark tags lookahead z-index bug.
- Other minor bug fixes.