A simple Xamarin app named Acquaint. The app is a simple list of contacts, each of which can be viewed in a detail screen and modified in an edit screen. It runs on iOS 9+, Android 4.2+, and UWP (mobile and desktop).
##Cross-platform and native The app is implemented in two ways in order to demonstrate the two different approaches to Xamarin app development:
- Xamarin.Forms cross-platform UI
- Xamarin native, with platform-specific UI implementations
##Three platforms The app targets three platforms:
- Universal Windows Platform (UWP)
- UWP currently only in Forms version of app
- UWP supported only in Visual Studio, not Xamarin Studio
##Integrations Includes integrations such as:
- getting directions
- making calls
- sending text messages
- email composition
- Visual Studio 2015 (14.0 or higher) to compile C# 6 langage features (or Xamarin Studio OS X)
- Xamarin add-ons for Visual Studio (available via the Visual Studio installer)
- Visual Studio Community Edition is fully supported!
Google Maps API key (Android)
For Android, you'll need to obtain a Google Maps API key: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/platform_features/maps_and_location/maps/obtaining_a_google_maps_api_key/
Insert it in the Android project:
<application ...> ... <meta-data android:name="com.google.android.geo.API_KEY" android:value="GOOGLE_MAPS_API_KEY" /> ... </application>
Enabling SQLite for UWP
The UWP app requires that you install the SQLite for UWP extension for Visual Studio. You can find the latest version here: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/4913e7d5-96c9-4dde-a1a1-69820d615936
The steps that were taken to implement it in the UWP project can be found in steps 1-3 here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/app-service-mobile-windows-store-dotnet-get-started-offline-data/#_update-the-client-app-to-support-offline-features
Platform-specific UI Features (in native version only)
|3D Touch Previewing (iOS)||Shared View Transitions (Android)|
The app has three main screens:
- a list screen
- a read-only detail screen
- an editable detail screen
All images of people in the app come from UIFaces.com. In accordance with the guidelines, fictitious names have been provided.
Clean and Rebuild
If you see build issues when pulling updates from the repo, try cleaning and rebuilding the solution.