xavdid does holman does dotfiles
There's a lot more info in the original README. To see the differnece between the original and my fork, click this. I've added and tweaked a lot, but the general structure is the same idea.
The below sections describe the file heiarchy in this repo and where to find something if you want to copy it.
Everything's built around topic areas. If you're adding a new area to your
forked dotfiles — say, "Java" — you can simply add a
java directory and put
files in there. Anything with an extension of
.zsh will get automatically
included into your shell. Anything with an extension of
.symlink will get
symlinked without extension into
$HOME when you run
There's a few special files in the hierarchy.
- bin/: Anything in
bin/will get added to your
$PATHand be made available everywhere.
- Brewfile: This is a list of applications for Homebrew Cask to install: things like Chrome and 1Password and stuff. Might want to edit this file before running any initial setup.
- topic/*.zsh: Any files ending in
.zshget loaded into your environment.
- topic/path.zsh: Any file named
path.zshis loaded first and is expected to setup
- topic/completion.zsh: Any file named
completion.zshis loaded last and is expected to setup autocomplete.
- topic/install.sh: Any file named
install.shis executed when you run
script/install. To avoid being loaded automatically, its extension is
- topic/*.symlink: Any file ending in
*.symlinkgets symlinked into your
$HOME. This is so you can keep all of those versioned in your dotfiles but still keep those autoloaded files in your home directory. These get symlinked in when you run