X-Chat Aqua is a XChat front-end for Mac OS X. It originally starts from http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchataqua/
XChat Azure is a fork from X-Chat Aqua, the Mac OS X native XChat front-end.
Why has X-Chat Aqua been renamed?
Mac App Store is very useful place to distribute applications for non-geek users. Most of Debian/Ubuntu users do not want to search applications on broad Internet world, if you can access alternative (or even the same) applications on Aptitude. So Mac OS X users got the Mac App Store.
But I should keep Mac App Store guidelines to submit X-Chat Aqua. There were some issues.
Main Reason: Any application on Mac App Store may not use names that include 'Mac', 'OS X', 'Aqua' or any other of Apples trademarks.
There was no way. So I dropped the name. Also, where was several other issues because I didn't want to change X-Chat Aqua developement policy.
- We should remove whole ppc/ppc64 support
- We should support osx10.6 only
- We should remove update module (Sparkle, in this case)
- We should not work on ~/.xchat2 the traditional configutaion directory.
It should be annoying job to keep these on X-Chat Aqua.
Move Aqua to Azure
If you are now using XChat GTK or X-Chat Aqua, and now you want to move to XChat Azure, you should do some work.
Unlike XChat GTK and X-Chat Aqua, XChat Azure do not share the traditional configuration direcotry ~/.xchat2 because of Mac App Store guideline.
So if you want to keep your configuration, you should move it, copy it, or make hard link.
- Open Terminal.app to do this job. You can find it on Spotlight
- Did you run XChat Azure already? Remove its configuration to do other job
- rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/XChat\ Azure
- Move, if you will not use XChat GTK or X-Chat Aqua again
- mv ~/.xchat2 ~/Library/Application\ Support/XChat\ Azure
- Copy, if you will use different configuration on Aqua and Azure, or you want to test Azure and get back to original X-Chat Aqua.
- cp -R ~/.xchat2 ~/Library/Application\ Support/XChat\ Azure
- Hard-/Soft-Link, if you want to share configurations
- ln ~/.xchat2 ~/Library/Application\ Support/XChat\ Azure
- ln -s ~/.xchat2 ~/Library/Application\ Support/XChat\ Azure