Using Homesick by technicalpickles
gem install Homesick homesick clone xer0x/dotfiles homesick symlink dotfiles
Using mathiasbynes's bootstrap script
You can clone the repository wherever you want. (I like to keep it in
~/dotfiles as a symlink.) The bootstrapper script will pull in the latest version and copy the files to your home folder.
git clone https://github.com/xer0x/dotfiles.git && cd dotfiles && ./bootstrap.sh
cd into your local
dotfiles repository and then:
To update later on, just run that command again.
# PATH additions export PATH="~/bin:$PATH" # Git credentials # Not in the repository, to prevent people from accidentally committing under my name GIT_AUTHOR_NAME="Mathias Bynens" GIT_COMMITTER_NAME="$GIT_AUTHOR_NAME" git config --global user.name "$GIT_AUTHOR_NAME" GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL="email@example.com" GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL="$GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL" git config --global user.email "$GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL"
Sensible OS X defaults
When setting up a new Mac, you may want to set some sensible OS X defaults:
- Gianni Chiappetta for sharing his amazing collection of dotfiles
- Matijs Brinkhuis and his homedir repository
- Jan Moesen and his ancient
.bash_profile+ shiny tilde repository
- Ben Alman and his dotfiles repository
- Nicolas Gallagher and his dotfiles repository
- Tom Ryder and his dotfiles repository
- Tim Esselens
- anyone who contributed a patch or made a helpful suggestion