Build Nextor (MSX disk operating system) from Linux/OSX using Vagrant and VirtualBox
- Vagrant: a tool for building and managing virtual machine environments
- VirtualBox: a free and open-source hosted hypervisor for x86 computers
How to compile Nextor
From the main directory of this repo run
For available options:
$ compile-all.sh --help Use: ./compile-all.sh [-h/--help] | [-f/--fdisk ] | [-n/--nostop] -h/--help: show this help -f/--fdisk: compile FDISK only -n/--nostop: keep VM running Examples: ./compile-all.sh # Compile all and stop VM ./compile-all.sh -n # Do not stop de VM ./compile-all.sh -n -f # Do not stop de VM and compile FDISK only ./compile-all.sh --nostop --fdisk # Same as previous with long options ./compile-all.sh --help # Show help
Note that first execution might take a long time because the Windows image will be downloaded
Why do I need this?
I do not have a Windows machine to compile Nextor and I don't want to install and manage a full GUI virtual machine. I want to use a Linux terminal to edit the code and try my changes as I normally do.
How does it work?
I have created a ready made Windows Vagrant image with all the tools needed to compile Nextor.
There's a script called
compile-all.sh that does the following: (check the code is very simple)
- Check for requirements
- Clone Nextor project from github (if not present)
- Start the Windows VM using Vagrant
compile.batinside the VM for all of Nextor's modules and tools
- Stop the VM
Issues & Comments
- I have added a sample output for a successfull compilation as a reference in
- To completely delete the Windows image try with:
- Please support Nextor's original developer for his amazing work here
- At this moment there is no support for VMWare
I know this tool won't be used at all. It's a very small niche of knowledge. But if you happen to encounter ] this project and find it useful, please let me know! Thanks :)