Xournal++ is a hand note taking software written in C++ with the target of flexibility, functionality and speed. Stroke recognizer and other parts are based on Xournal Code, which you can find at sourceforge
- Support for Pen preassure, e.g. Wacom Tablet
- Support for annotating PDFs
- Allow to map different tools / colors etc. to stylus buttons / mouse buttons
- Sidebar with Page Previews with advanced page sorting, PDF Bookmarks and Layers (Layers currently not enabled by default)
- enhanced support for image insertion
- Eraser with multipe configurations
- Significantly reduced memory usage and code to detect memory leaks compared to Xournal
- LaTeX support (requires a working LaTeX install)
- bug reporting, autosave, and auto backup tools
- Customizeable toolbar, with multiple configurations, e.g. to optimize toolbar for portrait / landscape
- Page Template definitions
- Shape drawing (line, arrow, circle, rect)
Hopefully you'll enjoy it!
How to use audio record and playback feature:
vlcand make sure
arecordare present on your system
- Make sure you installed xournalpp with
desktop-installcommand (see install steps)
http interface(see this ) with blank username and password "password"
Allow only one instanceunder
Interface -> Instance
- set the folder where do you want to store audio recordings under settings ->
Toolbar Leftlayout under
You're ready to go!
Just press the red button to start/stop recording and use the
Play Object tool to click on a stroke and listen to the corresponding audio.
If you need to, you can edit the recording audio gain in the script under
/usr/local/bin/xopp-recording.sh (an option for this will be availabe through xournalpp's settings in the future)
Ubuntu and derivates
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andreasbutti/xournalpp-master sudo apt update sudo apt install xournalpp
Build by https://github.com/badshah400
No builds yet, comming soon. Probably not yet fully working. Build manual below.
Mac OS X
Work in Progress, it's possible to build, but no release yet.
The fileformat *.xopp is an XML which is .gz compressed. PDFs are not embedded into the file, so if the PDF is deleted, the background is lost. *.xopp is basically the same fileformat as *.xoj, which is used by Xournal. Therefor Xournal++ reads *.xoj files, and can also export *.xoj. On exporting to *.xoj all Xournal++ specific Extension are lost, like addtional Background types. *.xopp can theretically be read by Xournal, as long as you do not use any new feature, Xournal does not open files at all if there are new attributes or unknown values, because of this Xournal++ will add the extension .xopp to all saved files. All new files will be saved as *.xopp, if an *.xoj file is opened which was created by Xournal, the Save-As dialog will be displayed on save. If the *.xoj file was by Xournal++ created, Xournal++ overwrite the file on save, and does not change the extension.
For developping new features, write a Ticket, so others know what you are doing. For development create a fork, and use the master as base. Create a Pull request for each fix. Do not create big pull requests, as long as you don't break anything features also can be merged, even if they are not 100% finished.
See GitHub:xournalpp for current development. You can also join our Gitter channel via badge on top.
The code documentation is generated using Doxygen.
In order to generate the documentation yourself, first install Doxygen and graphviz, i.e.
sudo apt install doxygen sudo apt install graphviz
on Debian or Ubuntu. Finally, type in
doxygen in the root directory of the repository.
The documentation can be found in
doc/latex. Conveniently display the
python3 -m http.server 8000 and visit the shown URL to view the