2021-09-05 18:22:06 +0200
How to import and manage pictures and videos in the most seamless way possible
Photo importing workflow
Let’s be honest: importing and managing personal media without relying on big tech software is a stressful, itchy, and exhausting process. I am constantly trying to make it as simple, quick, and reliable as possible, but I am having a hard time. Below I noted some some of my experiments and the steps I currently follow.
- import everything in an isolated folder
- run DupeGuru (VIDEOS MANAGEMENT?)
- run [[Exiftool]]
The cleanest way to move files from an Android to a MacOS device is by using ADB.
- Connect the phone to the computer;
- Open the terminal and move to the
platform-toolsfolder (I keep in
- Check if the two devices are connected correctly by running
- Navigate in the phone directories
- once the path of the directories which contain the content that has to be copied on the computer has been noted, execute
./adb pull /path/in/phone /destination/path/on/computer;
- Done. This is how simple, neat, fast, and powerful this process is.
I still haven’t figured the best way to transfer a lot of images from iPhone to MacOS. AirDrop is wonderful, but it cannot work with all of the photos and videos in my mobile gallery.
To save pictures from my iPhone to [[Linuxplosion]] I use [[PhotoSync]]. Here are the key steps I performed to set everything up:
- make a desktop computer remotely reachable via SSH
- Importing pictures automatically via SFTP
- I configured PhotoSync so that directories based on date are automatically created.
- I set a weekly reminder to make me start the import when Linuxplosion [[Linuxplosion#Schedule|is scheduled to be on]]