2021-09-26 16:26:59 +0200
Insights and steps towards a greater digital awareness and freedom
This awesome and revolutionary tool which goes by the Internet is so powerful that in certain ways it is becoming a threat to the freedom of its users, who, in exchange for services, indifferently hand over their data, therefore giving up personal independence and liberty.
Essentially, I interpret internet freedom as the joint concern for two overlapping macro-themes:
- privacy and security of digital tools
- decentralization and de-monopolization regarding both hardware and software development
Digital awareness is time consuming.
The only excuse I accept from people refusing to inform themselves about how we are being sucked into a worryingly inescapable and uncontrollable ecosystem is that they don’t have time.
I get it. I “wasted” hours, days, reading articles and watching videos concerning the internet, its functioning and its governance. I wish this matter could be simpler and more clear, but understanding internet monopoly both requires a fair amount of technical knowledge and it is a subtle matter.
Choose the alternative
Just complaining, waiting for things to get better, believing that a conscious use is enough to keep clear from big tech negative impact is simply bullshit.
To change something and to make things better we need to [[Quit and switch|switch]] to healthier, more ethical, often even cooler alternatives.
![[Quit and switch]]
![[Road to Internet Freedom]]
Random links about privacy online
- The Hitchhiker’s guide to Internet Anonymity
- Privacy is power, a conversation with Clarissa Véliz
- My Year Without Google
- Free Software, Richard Stallman
- Richard Stallman’s website
- Privacy Guides
- Why Privacy Matters - TED Talk
- Andy Yen (ProtonMail CEO) TED Talk
- Nothing to hide argument
- Blog article: how to live without tech giants
- Human by Design
- Ethical Design
- Tech diet (an AWESOME website)
- great video privacy
- Why AMP is bad
- Presa Diretta "riprendiamoci i nostri dati"
- Luke Smith’s stuff
- Open Media Codecs
- Google Watches You
- Movim, social network and XMPP messaging app
- Restore privacy - Google Alternatives
- Facebook Doesn’t tell users everything it really knows about them
- deGoogle by a single person
- Discussione di Filosofia di gruppo su Dieci ragioni per eliminare il proprio account sui social media. Il mio intervento a al minuto
- Do not track Documentary (2015)
- The Social Dilemma creators interview
- Switching Software
- Take Control of your tech life in seven moves
- WhatsApp vs Telegram vs Signal
- Why ditching WhatsApp - Vice
- EFF’s Surveillance Self Defense
- Open Wireless Movement