Documentation corresponding to the latest version in the tree is here.
Pluton is a simple framework which makes network applications lighter-weight, easier to debug, lower latency and potentially less resource intensive. The core features of the framework include:
an interface which encourages and simplifies parallel requests to reduce latency (without the complexity of threads!)
a convenient, fast and simple API available in C, C++, php, perl and Java on FreeBSD and RHEL.
- encapsulation of services into self-contained, independent executables
- a serialization-agnostic interface between clients and services - you get to choose fast or pretty
Pluton was designed and developed by Mark Delany at Yahoo! and is used across many parts of the Yahoo network to substantially reduce web-serving latency and increase resiliency.
Except as specifically stated below, the 3rd party software packages are not distributed as part of this project, but instead are separately downloaded from the respective provider and built on the developer's machine as a pre-build step.
- State Threads Library for Internet Applications (A library that offers a threading API) link
BSD Open Source License
Copyright (c) 2010, Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use of this software in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of Yahoo! Inc. nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission of Yahoo! Inc.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.