Desktop client for Google Hangouts
(This app is in no way associated with or endorsed by Google)
Check out our wiki for additional installation methods
We love bug reports!
What does it do:
- Send/receive chat messages
- Send/receive SMS/MMS (Project Fi / Google Voice) -- basic functionality
- Create/change conversations (rename, add people)
- Leave/delete conversation
- Notifications (using native OS notifications)
- Toggle notifications on/off
- Drag-drop, copy-paste or attach-button for image upload.
- Hangupsbot sync room aware (no bot name, proper user pics)
- Show inline images
- Send presence/focus/typing/activeclient to behave like a proper client
- History scrollback
- Video/audio integration (open in chrome)
- Focus/typing indications (mainly a design issue. keep it clean)
- Offer alternative color schemes
- Translations in 22 languages so far:
- English / Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil) / French / Spanish / Czech / German / Polish / Russian / Hebrew / Ukrainian / Slovenian / Korean / Tamil / Romanian / Swedish / Japanese / Italian / Danish / Bengali / Slovak / Turkish
- We're looking for volunteers to translate the app to new languages
Yakyak may show up as iOS Device and Google may alert you that "some iOS Device is trying to use your account". This is normal as yakyak is an unofficial client and it mimics the behaviour of an iOS device in order to establish a communication with Google Hangout APIs.
This is an open source project. Please help us!
How can you help?
You can improve YakYak in many ways:
- Core functionality
- Interface (example: new themes only require choosing less than 20 colors)
- Bug fixing
- Translations (new translation only need 117 strings)
- Node.js (v4 or v6)
$ npm install $ npm run gulp
$ npm run gulp watch
$ npm run electron app
Build Binaries for Deployment
Supported platforms: Windows (win32), Mac OS X (darwin), Linux (linux)
Suported architectures: 64-bits (x64), 32-bits (ia32)
# Building for all platforms and architectures $ npm run deploy # You can also build specific builds by using # deploy:<platform>-<architecture> # example: $ npm run deploy:darwin-x64
If you have fpm installed (
gem install fpm), you can also build RPM and Deb packages:
$ npm run deploy:linux-x64:rpm $ npm run deploy:linux-x64:deb
note: if you are building Windows binaries in Linux or Mac OS X, Wine (1.6 or higher) must be installed. It also requires a 32-bit Wine installation when building Windows 32-bit binary.
||Is where sources live|
||Holds renderer code (client side)|
||Everything is compiled to this directory|
- All the users and developers of YakYak
- "You wouldn't believe" as the 'new message' sound for some platforms and is licensed under CC