Augmented Audio Libraries
Experiments trying to use Rust for audio programming.
Consider anything in this repository a draft.
- Goal 1: Learn & have fun
- This is goal #1 and it's very important to keep it in mind if you end-up depending on one of the crates in this repository
- Goal 2: Build tools for aiding development
- Goal 3: Experiment with audio software GUI in Rust
Most of this repository is published under the MIT LICENSE.
Some directories which contain full applications are licensed under the AGPLv3 license. Check the
- Augmented Audio Libraries
- Applications in this repository
⬇️ Binary downloads
💬 Blog posts
- Initial 'Test Plugin Host' post
- Simple Metronome release
- Generic AudioProcessors in Rust
- Continuous Looper - 8-track live-looper and performance sampler
- Simple standalone audio-app
- Effects and analysis
👩 Web GUI
🛠 Rust libraries and tooling
Workspace & Building
The project is set-up with a cargo workspace. Running
cargo commands at the root directory should compile all crates
To build the whole project run:
git submodule update --init cargo build
To run tests:
On OSX you might want to run
./scripts/test.sh instead of that command.
Build outputs should be on
Packaging apps and VSTs
Package VSTs using
./scripts/dev.sh build. This will build all the packages, build specific crates' outputs with
./scripts/dev.sh build <path>.
Looper, Metronome and other (flutter / macOS builds)
See instructions on their READMEs under
Building on linux
Since this is bringing in all the possible rust crates, you'll need to install quite a few dependencies.
.github/workflows/default.yml for a list of what's needed on Ubuntu.
criterion will be slowly added. In order to run benchmarks use:
Profiling on macOS
cd ./crates/oscillator cargo instruments -t time --bench sine_oscillator_benchmark -- --bench
Generating flamegraphs from benchmarks
NOTE I couldn't get this to work on macOS
Flamegraphs can be generated using
cargo install flamegraph
The tool can then be used to run a criterion benchmark and generate a flamegraph:
cargo flamegraph --bench sine_oscillator_benchmark -- --bench
Snapshot testing audio processors