Mesh Testbed Generator
Buildsystem to generate custom Lede-Firmware files for different nodes in a testbed.
Having set up a mesh of 5 TP Link TL-WR842nd v2 in our hackerspace for testing and research, there's a need for configuration management. Configuration should be:
- Consistent / DRY
- Revertible - especially using
- Under version control
To archive these goals, a OpenWRT-configuration is generated based on Ruby
.erb templates. A dedicated firmware file is generated for each node.
- `nodes.yml - inventory of all nodes. A firmware-file is generated per node
files- Directory of .ERB-templates. After processing all ERB-templates, it is integrated into the firmware files
bin- Output folder for firmware files
Rakefile- Central build file
- Adapt templates in
OpenWRT Release (Chaos Calmer) and Platform (TL-WR842nd v2) is hardcoded in
Rakefile. You have to change it to support other platforms.
Current configuration includes
- Packages like ip, babeld, batman-adv for testing diffrent routing scenarios
- A collectd configuration ping'ing all nodes for measurements
- A wireless configuration putting the wifi into mesh mode while setting TX-power to a minimum
- IPv4 and IPv6 assignments for testing
- SSH-Key and root-password for accessing the nodes
- Firewall-Rules to allow connections via SSH from WAN