Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Oct 18th, 2011 Meetup
WHEN: Tuesday, Oct 18 @ 18:30
WHERE: 2-49, Computer Science Centre, University of Alberta
- Rails 3.1.1 released, stability, performance and bug fixes
- Ruby Toolbox has received a new look and some usability improvements
- Bundler 1.1 coming soon, promises to make your bundle installs much faster
- rbenv is an emerging alternative to RVM. Watch for more coverage.
- Facebook has launched Facebook Developers HTML5 portal with coverage of almost everything HTML5
- StartupEdmonton is launching Skunkworks. It's goal is to turn large companies with specific needs into customers for local start-ups. Register or contact @camlinke for detais.
- Amir Barylko who spoke about using Capybara a few months ago, is offering YEGrb members a discount on his Clojure training course. Mention YEGrb and get a discount.
- RailscastsPro — 9$/mo for even more awesome screencasts, and revised episodes from Ryan Bates.
- We had a hackup at Original Joe's on Thanksgiving Monday. Much beer was drunk, and even a little code was written. The next hackup is Monday Nov 7th.
Talks (10 minutes)
- Ruby Recap (Beginner)
- Twilio SMS Overview / Implementing Twilio SMS into a Rails app / Twilio Dashboard & Statistics - Ryan Jones
- Get the source and a copy of Ryan's presentation from his GitHub repo.
- RubyConf recap with @fnichol (Beginner)
- "Algorithms" is not a four letter word
- Services Inception with Ruby
- jRuby: Polyglot Heaven (integrating jRuby with Scala and Closure)
- Trends where fast tests, concurrency, and alternative implementations
- Need a Canadian contingent!
Backbonejs Q&A with Derick Bailey
- Do we do this instead of a normal meetup? Or make a seperate evening?
- voted to do this instead of the next meetup. Will contact Derick to see if he's available Nov 15th.
- Thanks to Fletcher Nichol for bringing back a bag of Ruby shirts from his recent trip to RubyConf.
- We'll be giving these away to speakers to say thank-you. Speak soon to get first pick!
- Future talk ideas?
- advanced bundler
- the meaning of self
- LocomotiveCMS — new, fresh, buggy, but promising tool for fast creation of simple websites
- how to add documentation to MRI
- doing CRUD AJAX with Rails and jQuery
- HTTP Streaming (@RyanOnRails)
- MongoDB (@benzittlau)
- Ruby Implementations Overview: JRuby/Rubinius/MRI (@stormbrew)
- Channel9.rb (@stormbrew's crazy ruby VM http://www.github.com/stormbrew/channel9.rb)
- Or related: Crazy things in ruby you may not know about (eg. flip-flops) that I learned while implementing.
The next meetup is Tuesday Nov 15th @ 19:00. The next hackup is Monday Nov 7th @ 18:30.
We'll head to Original Joe's Varsity on 109th for food at drinks. If you can't make the talks then meet us here around 20:30.