This is a time capsule for your text messages.
Send a text to
(650) 830-0777 and, after some amount of time, you'll get the same message back.
No todo lists or otherwise mundane texts allowed -
send your future self those curious, strange and fascinating moments you would otherwise forget.
Tell the time capsule when to resend the message by adding a special sequence at the end.
For example, send a message like
and the sun sank red through the hills and clouds %5d 8h 20m 7s
and your words will return in five days, eight hours, twenty minutes and seven seconds.
Not all of those parameters are required - you could just add
at the end to see your note-to-self again in a week's time.
But take care - the spaces between the parameters after the
% sign are required.
This is a Flask app built with Twilio and Mongo. It was partially built at the tail end of Disrupt 2011 as 'never forget this text.' Read more at http://yosemitebandit.com/projects
Here's how to setup your own server to receive and then resend texts:
- you will need a twilio account with a verified phone number
- point the incoming SMS callback to this app's twilio endpoint
make a virtualenv and install some dependencies
$ virtualenv --no-site-packages /path/to/virtualenvs/never-lib $ pip install -E /path/to/virtualenvs/never-lib mongoengine $ pip install -E /path/to/virtualenvs/never-lib apscheduler $ pip install -E /path/to/virtualenvs/never-lib flask $ pip install -E /path/to/virtualenvs/never-lib requests
copy the sample never settings config file out of the repo and edit it with your settings
point an env var to your config file with:
$ set NEVER_SETTINGS=/path/to/config.py
copy the sample supervisord config file out of the repo and edit it as well
$ mongod --fork --logpath /path/to/mongodb.log --logappend --port 12345 --bind_ip 127.0.0.1
use supervisord to start the flask server and supervisorctl to control it
$ supervisord -c /path/to/supervisord.conf
- mongo jobstore so jobs persist - test this separately; things are fishy..
- flesh out the twilio setup section above
- better error-handling..it's always better error-handling
- test s,m,h,d
- test messages over 140 chars
- get a random text from your past
- tack on when the message was sent originally?
- twilio takes a few seconds to send the text - account for this with an offset?