sms-bot is a modular sms query bot for responding to sms commands via email.
This is a work in progress so there will be updates and changes coming.
sms-bot uses a Gmail account to listen for texts and respond based on the query. It is designed to be run as a daemon that will check the email for new texts, parse them and respond.
- libcurl (for the network library).
- libsystemd-dev (to interface with systemd).
- To use as a service systemd must be your init system.
- Weather underground api
- make a Gmail account (preferable to use a dedicated one so as not to interfere with regular emails).
- turn on support for less secure apps.
- sign up for Weather underground api and get your api key.
- edit the systemd service file to your liking see
- edit the .conf file by adding your:
- prefered mms response suffix (for messages over 160 characters)
- weather underground key
git clone https://github.com/yparitcher/sms-bot.
- you may need to run
git submodules initand
git submodules updateto get the submodule libraries.
- copy the resulting
- copy your
- copy your
/etc/smsbot/(you may have to make the folder).
- to start the service run
systemctl start smsbot.service.
- for the current weather send a text to the email address with the zipcode
- for the forecast send a text to the email address with the zipcode
#forecast 00501, optionally including the amount of days
#forecast 00501 5. the default is 2 days.
sms-bot uses the following ibraries:
- parson library to parse json. Copyright (c) 2012 - 2017 Krzysztof Gabis licensed under the MIT licence
- ini library for the config file. Copyright (c) 2016 rxi licensed under the MIT licence