Web Starter Kit is a survival guide for students in the web developer program at Yrgo. This is a curated list of the best links from our lessons and workshops. It has everything you need to get started with web development at Yrgo.
Writing front-end applications is great but what if you want to build a website which requires a login system for example? Head over to our back-end section to learn more about writing server applications using PHP and SQL.
If you scroll further down you'll find our favorite online resources to get started with web development.
- Atom - A hackable and open-source text editor for the 21st century.
- Visual Studio Code - A code editing, redefined, free and open-source editor which runs everywhere.
- MAMP - An one-click-solution for setting up your personal webserver.
- GitHub Desktop - A Git collaboration tool for macOS and Windows.
- Hyper - A beautiful and extensible CLI experience, built on open web standards.
- Figma - A digital collaborative interface design tool.
- Learn to Code HTML & CSS - A comprehensive guide dedicated to helping beginners learn HTML and CSS.
- Introduction to HTML - Learn basic HTML with this interactive course with Scrimba.
- Introduction to CSS - Learn how to design websites in less than an hour with Scrimba.
- What The Flexbox? - A free 20 video course that will help you master CSS Flexbox.
- CSS Grid - Learn css grid with Wes Bos in 25 pretty good videos.
- Learn React - Learn all the basics to build dynamic, interactive web applications with React.
- Learn Vue.js - 9 interactive screencasts to take you from beginner to advanced.
- The PHP Practitioner - A beginner PHP video course by Laracasts.
- Introduction to SQL - A series of interactive lessons and exercises designed to help you quickly learn SQL.
- C# Programming (Beginners) - A beginner-friendly video course of tutorials on programming in C#.
- Laravel From Scratch - A video series with the essentials of Laravel development.
- Git and GitHub for Poets - A video course about version control with Git and GitHub.
- Command Line Basics - A video tutorial series to learn command line from the very basics.
- Figma Tutorial - A video course to get started with designing in Figma.
The links below are discounted software and services for students. Use your school email address to get access to these resources. Please ask a fellow student or a teacher if you can't remember your address. For InVision you'll need an code to sign up, please ask your teacher.
- Student Developer Pack - The best developer tools, free for students.
- JetBrains - Whichever technologies you use there's a JetBrains tool to match.
- InVision - A digital product design, workflow & collaboration tool.
- Base.cs - Beginner-friendly computer science lessons by CodeNewbie.
- Front End Happy Hour - A podcast featuring a panel of software engineers talking about front-end.
- Syntax - Tasty treats podcast for web developers by Wes Bos and Scott Tolinski.
- The Laracasts Snippet - Each episode, offers a single thought on some aspect of web development.
- Mozilla Developer Network - The ultimate front-end resources for developers, by developers.
- PHP Manual - The official documentation manual for the core PHP framework and language.
- Basic MySQL - This basic MySQL tutorial explains some of the basic SQL statements.
- C# Guide - The C# guide provides many resources about the C# language.
- DevDocs - This service combines multiple API documentations in a fast, organized, and searchable interface.
- HTML Reference - A free guide to HTML which features all elements and attributes.
- CSS Reference - A free visual guide to CSS which features the most popular properties.
- How HTTPS Works - A guide to how HTTPS works ...in a comic!
- How DNS Works - A fun and colorful explanation of how DNS works.
- HTTP Status Codes - An easy to reference database of HTTP Status Codes with their definitions.
- Devhints - A ridiculous collection of web development cheatsheets.
- TLDR - A community effort to simplify the beloved man pages with practical examples.
To the extent possible under law, Yrgo has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.