First of all, we want to support the existing users on karrot.world, which are mostly foodsaving groups. For this, we want to improve governance and statistics.
To use Karrot for other purposes than saving food, we want to consolidate a user base that is part of two or more groups. Development should focus on a useful platform for them to coordinate with their groups/teams and to create synergies of cooperation between groups and people in those groups. An example of that, which is already happening in Gothenburg, is the foodsaving group (Solikyl) and the Bike Kitchen group. There is potential for much more in this city, which could prototype this kind of use case.
To make Karrot useful to a wider public, we want to add sharing features and allow users to communicate directly with established groups, which would become hubs for saving and sharing. The possibility to create new groups for sharing stuff or coordinating activities would also be a much more straightforward feature.
Karrot is a free and open-source software and its vision should inspire more people to contribute and co-create it. Therefore we need to work also on the following:
- On governance and organisation: finish writing the constitution and defining what kind of association should be created. This would give clear guidelines for the role of contributors and ensures a more transparent and democratic development process.
- Discuss and define the need and role of funding. Apply for grants when time is right and there is an opportunity.
- Start doing some PR and recruiting: by improving the website with a clearer description of what Karrot does and its vision, reach out in our networks to show it off and recruit new contributors.
Current Development (higher priority)
We are working on this either right now or pretty soon in the future. Should be implemented in the next few months.
- Rework group sidenav
- Automatically mark wall messages as read (+ "mark unread" button)
- Add history about one pickup
- Improve visibility of place description
- Add filters to history lists
- Scrolling on group map should not trigger group refresh
- Bike Kitchen theme
- Hide "give feedback for pickup" on group wall (+ application notification)
- Add better notifications settings page
- Sum feedback weight per feedback (instead of average)
- Generalize stores and pickups
Ready for development (lower priority)
Issue is understood well enough for development to start, but not currently assigned to a developer.
- Make date/time pickers more keyboard friendly
- Define all common icons in src/base/icons/icons.json
- Allow to change time for a specific pickup in a series of recurring pickups
- Add actions to message push notifications
- Keep message drafts
- Sort emoji reactions by creation date
- Searching in group gallery occasionally crashes vue.js: "NotFoundError: Node was not found"
- Allow users to mute community feed notifications
- Refine security headers
- Speed up rendering of member list
- Handle sparkpost suppression list
- Reorganize vue components
- Group messages from same author
- Allow to mention users in messages
- Emoji in emails are huge
- Group-specific welcome emails
- Add push notification about upcoming pickups
- Add possibility to include pictures in pickup feedback
- Dates should respect group timezone (and not browser timezone)
- Add proper pickups pagination
- Build cordova mobile app for iOS
- Add user photos to search results
- Show group pickup statistics
Current discussion (higher priority)
We want to work on this in mid-term future. We need to think about it more before we can implement it, so active discussion is highly welcome. Feel free to join in!
- Group customization options
- Better handling for much wanted pickups
- Decouple pickup/event and store/place
- Handle late drop-outs from pickups
- Public locations for food distribution (Food-share points, open fridges)
Discussion (lower priority)
Quite a bit in the future (~1 year), haven't been discussed very much. If one of those is more important to you than those in "Current discussion", please contact us!
- Show user pickup statistics
- Add document storage
- Allow to choose "did not participate" in pickup feedback
- Place managers / responsible person for a place
- Allow adding pickups to Google Calendar to enable upcoming pickups notifications
- Conflict resolution follow-up
- Show threads with newest replies first in wall
- Place subscriptions & conversations - follow-up
- Full-text search in messages (and other content?)
- Add lower and upper slot limit to pickups
- Investigate better file format for frontend translation messages
- Follow-up tasks: trust system and user levels
- Release Android app in Play Store
- Add person-to-person sharing ("food baskets")
- Data privacy statement
- Legal entity for karrot.world
- Accept agreement before joining the group