Synote Media Fragment Player, use Media Fragment with ease.
- Author: [Yunjia Li, Web and Internet Science Group, University of Southampton] (http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/people/yl2)
- Website: [http://smfplayer.synote.org] (http://smfplayer.synote.org)
- Documentation: [http://smfplayer.synote.org/documentation.html] (http://smfplayer.synote.org/documentation.html)
- License: MIT
What is Synote Media Fragment Player
Synote Media Fragment player is a jQuery plugin (and a polyfill) that enables the replay of [media fragments] (http://www.w3.org/TR/media-frags/). parses the media fragment URI and automatically highlights the temporal and spatial fragments by using the APIs provided by cross-browser HTML5 MediaElement.js player. By doing so, you can play the media fragments not only from online multimedia files, but also online video sharing platforms, such as YouTube and Dailymotion. We also created a wrapper to help you choose the correct type of the and based on the URL of the file or social media.
Build from the source
You need to setup python on your computer to compile the resource. Delete the original files in build folder, but leave the following three files:
background.png flashmediaelement.swf silverlightmediaelement.xap
Then, in the src folder of the source code, execute in command line:
- Fix a bug that multiple players cannot be initialised on the same page
- Add getOptions function
- Add support for initialising subtitles in multiple languages
- Update the demo page
- First public version for test
- Use [medialement.js] (http://mediaelementjs.com/) as the backend cross-browers player.
- Automatically parse media fragment URI.
- Automatically select media type based on the media fragment URI, such as video/mp4.
- Highlight spatial fragment.
- Provide APIs to play temporal fragments and highlight spatial fragment.
Features to be implemented
- Progress bar highlight for temporal fragments
- Support for Vimeo
- Synchronized spatial highlighting using WebVTT. See [Synchronized Formal Metadata Delivery with HTML5] (http://ninsuna.elis.ugent.be/html5/syncmeta/webvtt-turtle.html)