NOTE: This repo probably still works, but hasn't been touched in a while. For a more up-to-date way to setup OSX, check out setup.
Laptop is a set of scripts to get your Max OS X laptop set up as a development machine.
- Install a C compiler, such as GCC, LLVM, or Clang.
Download a compiler:
- Snow Leopard or earlier: OS X GCC Installer
- Lion or later: Command Line Tools for XCode
Or just install Xcode
- Set zsh as your login shell.
To change your login shell run this from a Terminal:
chsh -s /bin/zsh
zsh < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/zacs/laptop/master/mac)
It would also be helpful to install the following development apps prior to running this script (apps that must be installed are in bold):
- Navicat Lite
In addition, these normal apps will also be useful:
- ColorSchema Studio
- Remote Desktop Connection
What it sets up
- Ack for finding things in files
- Heroku gem for interacting with the Heroku API
- Heroku Config plugin for local
- Homebrew for managing operating system libraries
- ImageMagick for cropping and resizing images
- Flask for writing web applications
- Python for writing general-purpose code
- virtualenv for managing versions of the Python programming language
- SSH public key for authenticating with Github and Heroku
- NodeJS and some packages for automating build procedures
- MongoDB, neo4j, and Redis along with their respective Python packages
It should take less than 30 minutes to install (depends on your machine).
Assuming you are using your machine for more than just development, these will be nice to have:
- Delicious Library 2
- Google Book Downloader
- Media Converter
- Simple Comic
- The Tagger