This provider add-on adds Google synchronization capabilities to TbSync.
Only contacts and contact groups are currently managed, using Google's People API. There's currently no plan on supporting calendars. Please see FAQ for details.
Current status and roadmap / Known limitations
What already works:
- Google-to-Thunderbird creation / update / deletion of contacts;
- Google-to-Thunderbird creation / update / deletion of contact groups;
- Google-to-Thunderbird creation / update / deletion of contact group members.
- Thunderbird-to-Google creation / update / deletion of contacts;
- Thunderbird-to-Google creation / update / deletion of contact groups;
What is missing:
- Thunderbird-to-Google creation / update / deletion of contact group members. Please note that for this to be fixed the undergoing port of TbSync to WebExtension must be completed first: only then this add-on will be partially rewritten and will be able to fully manage contact group memberships.
A full working version
could probably be ready by June / July 2021 September the end of 2021 will be ready a few months after the new TbSync is released.
Thunderbird 102+ users please note. Google-4-TbSync 0.4.x runs much slower than 0.3.x (in my tests it performs 7x slower!). This is a known issue, please see FAQ for details. Upgrading to 0.5.x will greatly improve things, especially when updating an addressbook.
How to use it
You first need to install TbSync and generate your own Google Cloud Console project credentials. Then do one of the following:
Download an official release
.xpi packages can be downloaded from Thunderbird Add-ons, or through the Thunderbird > Tools > Add-ons menu.
Test the latest code
- Grab the latest .zip package.
- Unzip it wherever you want.
- Load it as a temporary add-on from Thunderbird > Tools > Add-ons > cog icon > Debug Add-ons > Load Temporary Add-on (pick manifest.json for example).
- Test it, preferably using the Read-only mode option (see below).
- Even if early reports seem to confirm the add-on is working properly, the project is still in its early development stage: do regular backups of both your Google and Thunderbird address books!
- You are strongly suggested to use the Read-only mode option.