ZA Tech Slack - Code of Conduct
- Don't be a troll
- Be respectful of others
- Do not harass others
- Do not share personal information of others to people outside the community
- All content must be "safe for work"
- Job opportunities can be posted in #jobpostings, professional recruitment is not allowed
- Don't spam the channels with links, or links to pages, for the purpose of monetization of user views and which provide no value to the community
This is a safe space, let's keep it that way.
Code of Conduct
“ZA Tech” in this document refers to the ZA Tech Slack organization at https://zatech.slack.com/. “The administrators” refers to the administrators on this organization, a list is available at the top of the Team Directory (must be a member of the organization to view).
ZA Tech is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
This code of conduct applies to all ZA Tech spaces, including public channels, private channels and direct messages, both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the administrators.
Some ZA Tech spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of “dead” or rejected names
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
Conduct specific to recruitment activities
The ZA Tech group, and its admins, acknowledge that finding skilled people in South Africa is a serious problem that needs serious attention. However, the ZA Tech slack channel is first and foremost a safe space for people to talk, share and collaborate. Therefore, the following are specific conditions regarding recruitment, and recruitment opportunities.
- Unsolicited professional recruiting is not allowed on the ZA Tech group under any circumstances.
- Users (including admins) may not under any circumstances share personal details of ZA Tech members with recruiters without that user's explicit consent.
- Advertising an opportunity in brief within the #jobpostings channel is acceptable. Further discussions must happen via direct messages.
- Opportunities must not, under any circumstances, use referral program links where the poster of the message could benefit, e.g. via earning a commission.
We value being able to attract talent to our teams, and a brief message should allow it. New teams in particular are encouraged to post a "We're hiring" message.
Unsolicited private messages (DMs)
While the community aims to be a place for members of the community to meet and connect, it's also important to respect each other's privacy. If you feel as though a service you provide or business you run may be of use to another member, please respect their privacy and first ask publicly if you may contact them about such discussions before sending unsolicited messages.
If you are being harassed by a member of ZA Tech, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact an admin directly via DM. Administrators will respond as soon as they are able. If the person who is harassing you is on the admin team, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident.
This code of conduct applies to ZA Tech spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of ZA Tech outside of our spaces, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by ZA Tech members, especially the administrators, seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The abuse team reserves the right to exclude people from ZA Tech based on their past behavior, including behavior outside ZA Tech spaces and behavior towards people who are not members of the ZA Tech community.
In order to protect volunteers from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of ZA Tech members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
The ZA Tech community is a collection of professionals, as such it is expected that the content made available by members of the community should at all times adhere to the acceptable content policy. This policy is intended to protect the community's image, as well as the image of its members, through restrictions on certain classes of content which may be deemed to be unsuitable in a work or family context.
Classes of content which we deem to be unsuitable include:
- Pornographic or sexually suggestive material, either in graphic or text form.
- Depictions of physical or emotional abuse, either in graphic or text form.
- Persecution of any individual as a result of their race, gender, religion or other physical traits.
- Material intended to, without basis, harm the reputation of any individual whether a member or not.
- Unsolicited advertising with the exception of job offers in the #jobpostings channel.
- Links, or links to pages, for the purpose of monetization of user views and which provide no value to the ZA Tech community.
As a quick self-check, ask yourself whether you would like someone's child to see the content you are posting. If the answer is "no", then there's a good chance you shouldn't be posting it on the ZA Tech community.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the administrators may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all ZA Tech spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other ZA Tech members and/or the general public.
Intentionally evading exclusions, bans, suspensions, restrictions, or otherwise interfering with the admin team's decisions and actions are not permitted.
Terms and Conditions
The Operators may, but are not obligated to, monitor or review any areas on the Slack where users transmit or post communications or communicate solely with each other, including but not limited to public and private channels, and the content of any such communications. The Operators, however, will have no liability related to the content of any such communications, whether or not arising under the laws of copyright, libel, privacy, obscenity, or otherwise. The Operators may edit or remove content on the the Slack at their discretion at any time.
If you feel there are aspects to this code of conduct which should be modified, please open a pull request with your suggested changes at https://github.com/zatech/code-of-conduct.