Zcash Full-Node Desktop Wallet v1.0.0-rc1
Supports T and Z addresses, messaging, and more.
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux
Java version 8 or higher must be installed.
WARNING: Careful with 'watch-only' imports! They will appear in 'addresses', but do not receive funds to them because you have not fully imported the private key! This UX issue will be fixed.
Building, Installing, and Running the Wallet
To run the Zcash Full-Node Desktop Wallet from source, you need to have Zcash built and ready to go. Effectively, this means having a copy of
zcashd-cli in the .jar's directory.
For best security, it is recommended to build the entire Zcash wallet by yourself, directly from GitHub.
1. Operating System and Tools
You will need Git, Java (JDK8 or later), and Ant.
Download & Install JDK 9
Ubuntu Linux -
sudo apt-get install git default-jdk ant
RedHat/CentOS/Fedora Linux -
sudo yum install java-1.8.0-openjdk git ant
The name of the JDK package (
java-1.8.0-openjdk) may vary depending on the Linux system, so look around if name
java-1.8.0-openjdk can't be found or doesn't work.
ant need to be runnable from command line
before proceeding with build.
2 - Building from Source Code
First, clone this Git repository:
git clone https://github.com/zcash-community/zcash-full-node-wallet
ant -buildfile ./src/build/build.xml
This may take a few seconds. When it finishes, you will now see
You need to make this file executable:
chmod u+x ./build/jars/ZcashSwingWallet.jar
At this point the build process is finished! The final product is the GUI Wallet Java JAR:
Once you've built Zcash from source code,
zcash-cli will appear in
You will need to copy them beside the jar:
cp ~/zcash/src/zcashd build/jars/ cp ~/zcash/src/zcash-cli build/jars/
You can now run the Desktop GUI Wallet:
java -jar build/jars/ZcashSwingWallet.jar
Or just double-click it!
If you are using Ubuntu or another Linux, you may need to
ZcashSwingWallet.jar file and choose "Open with OpenJDK 8 Runtime".
Running the .jar will automatically set up
~/.zcash/zcash.conf for you. In some cases, you may need to edit it manually. It should contain:
rpcuser=ENTER-RANDOM-ALPHANUMERICAL-PASSWORD rpcpassword=ENTER-RANDOM-ALPHANUMERICAL-PASSWORD rpcport=8232 #addnode=...
Notes from ZENCash - Known Issues and Limitations
- Issue: The Zcash Desktop GUI Wallet is not compatible with applications that modify the ZEC
wallet.datfile. The wallet should not be used with such applications on the same PC. For instance some distributed exchange applications are known to create watch-only addresses in the
wallet.datfile that cause the GUI wallet to display a wrong balance and/or display addresses that do not belong to the wallet.
- Limitation: if two users exchange text messages via the messaging UI TAB and one of them has a system clock, substantially running slow or fast by more than 1 minute, it is possible that this user will see text messages appearing out of order.
- Limitation: if a messaging identity has been created (happens on first click on the messaging UI tab), then replacing the
wallet.dator changing the node configuration between mainnet and testnet will make the identity invalid. This will result in a wallet update error. To remove the error the directory
~/.ZcashSwingWallet/messagingmay be manually renamed or deleted (when the wallet is stopped). CAUTION: all messaging history will be lost in this case!
- Limitation: Wallet encryption has been temporarily disabled in Zcash due to stability problems. A corresponding issue #1552 has been opened by the Zcash developers. Correspondingly, wallet encryption has been temporarily disabled in the Zcash Desktop GUI Wallet. The latter needs to be disabled.
- Limitation: The list of transactions does not show all outgoing ones (specifically outgoing Z address transactions). A corresponding issue #1438 has been opened for the Zcash developers.
- Limitation: The CPU percentage shown to be taken by zcashd on Linux is the average for the entire lifetime of the process. This is not very useful. This will be improved in future versions.
- Limitation: When using a natively compiled wallet version (e.g.
ZcashSwingWallet.exefor Windows) on a very high resolution monitor with a specifically configured DPI scaling (enlargement) factor to make GUI elements look larger, the GUI elements of the wallet actually do not scale as expected. To correct this on Windows you need to right-click on
ZcashSwingWallet.exeand choose option:
Properties >> Compatibility >> Override high DPI scaling behavior >> Scaling performed by: (Application)
Mikael Johansson firstname.lastname@example.org Donate ZEC: t1ZuuZYVKCsTA9iPJT4WgmQgHJrqHpjxU3E
Originally forked from the ZENCash Swing Wallet.
This program is distributed under an MIT License.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.