Be notified of new releases
Create your free GitHub account today to subscribe to this repository for new releases and build software alongside 28 million developers.Sign up
Hot on the heels of Zcon0 comes a new release of the Zcash node software (Overwinter-compatible). This release focused on implementing internal changes necessary for Sapling, with development progressing in tandem with the librustzcash and sapling-crypto libraries.
Developer tips for Overwinter network upgrade
Overwinter activated successfully at block 347500 with most of the ecosystem upgrading smoothly. Some common issues we helped third parties with both before and after activation, were:
When using an offline node to sign raw transactions, the offline node needs to be synced past the Overwinter activation block height, so that the correct consensus branch id is used.
With the new Overwinter signature hashing scheme, when passing in the
amountfield must be specified. Previously this was not mandatory.
When developing custom code to perform the Overwinter signature hashing scheme, a common issue has been mixing up the endianness of fields.
Other notable changes
Removal of option
In release 1.0.9 we implemented end-of-support (EOS) halt for
versions made by the Zcash Company. The configuration option
-disabledeprecation was added as a way for users to specifically choose to
stay on a particular software version. However, it incorrectly implied that
deprecated releases would still be supported.
This release removes the
-disabledeprecation option, so that
versions made by the Zcash Company will always shut down in accordance with the
defined EOS policy (currently 16 weeks after release). Users who wish to
use a different policy must now specifically choose to either:
- edit and compile the source code themselves, or
- obtain a software version from someone else who has done so (and obtain
support from them).
Either way, it is much clearer that the software they are running is not
supported by the Zcash Company.
Summary of the changes included in this release
- Removed configuration option for turning off EOS halt, previously known as auto-senescence. (#3137)
- Data field
hashFinalSaplingRoothas been added to RPC call
- Data field
finalsaplingroothas been added to RPC calls
- We added encodings for Sapling addresses. (#3326)
- We added a class for Sapling notes. (#3272)
- We created tests for Sapling anchors. (#3258)
- Test vectors were created for components of Sapling keys. (#3332)
- The help message of RPC call
signmessagehas been clarified. (#3259)
- Some tests were updated with fixes. (#3303, #3320).
- We performed some refactoring for code clean up. (#3237, #3321, #3322)
For a more complete list of changes, see our 1.1.2 milestone.