What are ZIPs?
Zcash Improvement Proposals (ZIPs) are the way to:
- propose new features for the the Zcash cryptocurrency and their rationale,
- specify the implementation details of the feature,
- collect community input on the proposal, and
- document design decisions.
The authors of a ZIP are responsible for building consensus within the community and documenting / addressing dissenting opinions.
Anyone can write a ZIP! We encourage community contributions and decentralization of work on the Zcash protocol. If you’d like to bounce ideas off people before formally writing a ZIP, we encourage it! Visit the ZcashCommunity Discord chat to talk about your idea.
Participation in the Zcash project is subject to a Code of Conduct.
The Zcash protocol is documented in its Protocol Specification.
For example, if using reStructuredText, use a filename matching
make to check that you are using correct
and double-check the generated
draft-*.html file before filing a Pull Request.
This is the list of ZIPs relevant to the proposed NU5 Upgrade, which is planned to activate on Mainnet in January 2022:
- ZIP 32: Shielded Hierarchical Deterministic Wallets (updated)
- ZIP 203: Transaction Expiry (updated)
- ZIP 209: Prohibit Negative Shielded Chain Value Pool Balances (updated)
- ZIP 212: Allow Recipient to Derive Ephemeral Secret from Note Plaintext (updated)
- ZIP 213: Shielded Coinbase (updated)
- ZIP 216: Require Canonical Jubjub Point Encodings
- ZIP 221: FlyClient - Consensus-Layer Changes (updated)
- ZIP 224: Orchard Shielded Protocol
- ZIP 225: Version 5 Transaction Format
- ZIP 239: Relay of Version 5 Transactions
- ZIP 244: Transaction Identifier Non-Malleability
- ZIP 252: Deployment of the NU5 Network Upgrade
- ZIP 316: Unified Addresses and Unified Viewing Keys
- ZIP 401: Addressing Mempool Denial-of-Service (clarified)
Unless otherwise stated in this repository’s individual files, the contents of this repository are released under the terms of the MIT license. See COPYING for more information or see https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT .