TYPE: Visual Basic Script
PRIMARY LANGUAGE: VBS
AUTHOR: Justin Grimes
ORIGINAL VERSION DATE: 10/28/2019
CURRENT VERSION DATE: 10/28/2019
DESCRIPTION: A simple script to gently kill tasks that need to be stopped for backup or automation purposes.
PURPOSE: To provide an API for locating and gently killing tasks that interfere with automated file operations. Specifically, Outlook.pst files cannot be backed up while Outlook is using them. Also, terminating Outlook unexpectedly can cause .pst file corruption. This application will attempt to close Microsoft Office applications gently using ActiveX objects. If it cannot it will resort to terminating the process. Use this application in conjunction with other applications which do not play fair with automatic backups software. Run with a "User Configuration" GPO to run in the context of a logged-on user. Fake Sendmail For Windows by Byron Jones is required and included with this application per the fake Sendmail license. More information about Fake sendmail For Windows can be found at: https://www.glob.com.au/sendmail/
- Open the Softkiller.vbs script with a text editor and modify the "Company-Specific Variables" entries at the start of the script to match your environment.
- Open sendmail.ini with a text editor and modify the entries within to match your email server configuration.
- Copy the contents of the entire Softkiller directory to your network-wide scripts folder.
- Create a scheduled task under "User Configuration" using Group Policy Objects (GPO's) to run this script on a regular basis in the context of the currently logged-in user.
- Keep in mind that the script only has visibility into the processes that are running as the CURRENT USER! So if you run your task under SYSTEM or ADMINISTRATOR you will only see tasks that are also running as SYSTEM or ADMINISTRATOR. If you run this task as JohnDoe123 you will only see tasks that are running as JohnDoe123.
- Run with WScript.exe to get output in a MsgBox.
- Run with CScript.exe to get output in a command prompt.
c:\Softkiller.vbs -k WINWORD.EXE -o -v -e -f
c:\Softkiller.vbs -k CALC.EXE
c:\Softkiller.vbs -f -k OUTLOOK.EXE
-e (Email) = Set 'emailResult' config entry to TRUE (send emails when run).
-o (Output) = Set 'outputResult' config entry to TRUE (create a log file when this application kills other applications).
-v (Verbose) = Set 'verbose' config entry to TRUE (log output to the console).
-f (Forced) = Set 'force' config entry to TRUE (bypass Office Application detection).
-k (Process To Kill) = Set '-k ' to the complete name of a process to kill (required).
-h (Help) = Use the 'help' argument to display instructional text about this application.