Vim plugin to allow the movement of lines (or blocks) of text around easily. Inspired by Damian Conway's DragVisuals from his More Instantly Better Vim
The big difference between this and dragvisuals is that schlepp is much faster when working over large selections of text, has more features, more configurable, and hopefully has fewer gotchas.
What it Does
Schlepp lets you move a highlighted (visual mode) section of text around, respecting other text around it.
Block and Line Selections work now.
Schlepp also lets you duplicate selections of text
Additionally run for more info
Add to vimrc
vim +NeoBundleCheck +qall
If you use submodules you probably don't need my help.
git clone https://github.com/zirrostig/vim-schlepp.git ~/.vim/bundle/vim-schlepp
Add to vimrc
vim +PluginInstall +qall
No plugin management
- Get some plugin management (Recommend NeoBundle)
- OR Place the files in this repo into your ~/.vim maintaining the directory structure in this repo. Start up vim and run ':helptags doc'. Make sure it works
Add the following mappings to your vimrc, feel free to change from using the arrows to something more to your vim usage.
vmap <unique> <up> <Plug>SchleppUp vmap <unique> <down> <Plug>SchleppDown vmap <unique> <left> <Plug>SchleppLeft vmap <unique> <right> <Plug>SchleppRight
When moving text left, Schlepp by default does not allow you to move left if any text is all the way left. To allow the 'Squishing' of text add this line to your vimrc
let g:Schlepp#allowSquishingLines = 1 let g:Schlepp#allowSquishingBlock = 1
To disable trailing whitespace removal on block move
let g:Schlepp#trimWS = 0
Schlepp can also reindent code as it moves. Any of these work
- SchleppUp with reindentation is SchleppIndentUp
- SchleppDown with reindentation is SchleppIndentDown
- let g:Schlepp#reindent = 1
- map to the toggle function (below) - This is how I like to use it
vmap <unique> i <Plug>SchleppToggleReindent
And if you have GVIM (or a fancy terminal?) this should work well.
vmap <unique> <S-up> <Plug>SchleppIndentUp vmap <unique> <S-down> <Plug>SchleppIndentDown
Some suggested mappings
vmap <unique> D <Plug>SchleppDup
or if you want fine grained control
vmap <unique> Dk <Plug>SchleppDupUp vmap <unique> Dj <Plug>SchleppDupDown vmap <unique> Dh <Plug>SchleppDupLeft vmap <unique> Dl <Plug>SchleppDupRight
or set the default direction for SchleppDup
- DupLines can be "up" or "down"
- DupBlock can be "up", "down", "left", or "right"
- shown below are the defaults
let g:Schlepp#dupLinesDir = "down" let g:Schlepp#dupBlockDir = "right"
To enable trailing whitespace removal on block duplication
let g:Schlepp#dupTrimWS = 1
- See GitHub Issue Tracker
- This README is lacking in cool useful gifs of Schlepp in action. - Someday