The latest Zooniverse platform consists of a number of services working together.
- Panoptes is the main API endpoint in our platform. This is where user logins happen, and what stores data about projects, workflows, subjects, and classifications.
- Cellect is a service that selects a few randomly-chosen subjects for a user to work on next. Inside Panoptes, each user has a queue of subjects, and when that starts getting empty, Panoptes will query Cellect for some more subjects to replenish the queue with.
- Nero is an auxilliary service that deals with subject retirement rules. Panoptes itself comes with a very simple threshold on the number of classifications per subject. Nero is where we implement any project-specific retirement rules (although obviously we try and generalise when possible).
- ZooEventStats gathers metrics on everything in our platform.
Services still under development
The following services are still being built and are not yet in active use:
- Warehouse will take over the exporting of classifications for a project.
- Notifications will maintain an open websocket (or long-polling) connection to browsers, so that we get a channel to push notifications to browsers directly.